Talk

Advanced search

4 yr old refuses to get dressed

(10 Posts)
Supertastic Tue 08-Dec-15 10:25:08

Our morning routines are becoming a battle ground. My 4 yr old DS would rather spend his day completely naked but nursery won't allow it and frankly it's a bit cold in December. He says his clothes hurt him but these are the same clothes he was happy to wear a few days ago so I don't think it's skin sensitivity. We allow him to choose his clothes which usually means that after the battle of wills he sets off to nursery in shorts and t-shirt. He also refuses to wear socks with shoes (he will wear socks in a play barn). He needs new shoes but as you have to wear socks to try new shoes on he just won't.
We have a 16month old DD to get dressed too (thankfully she's easy) and a dog to walk, as well as getting ourselves ready, all before 8.30am. I'm knackered by 9am!

Any help, advice, empathetic notes gratefully received.

PalaceGirl Tue 08-Dec-15 13:26:40

Do you take him shopping with you to buy these clothes in the first place?

Haahooooo Tue 08-Dec-15 14:22:04

My 3 year old can be a bit of a pickle but has been better since I started buying 'fun' clothes with things she likes on them. Even the occasional Disney character shock

Also have you tried reward charts? We haven't tried for getting dressed but the reward chart for potty training we used worked very well.

Finally maybe a race against time? Put on a song and challenge him to get dressed by the time it finishes? Not tried this myself...

Supertastic Tue 08-Dec-15 19:03:18

He's been shopping with me and chosen some of his clothes which he loves initially and then won't wear again. Maybe I should just buy cheap and often!

Have also tried race against time or get dressed quick before Paw Patrol starts. Again this sometimes works but not always. He just seems to get into a foul mood about dressing some mornings and there is no way I have found of snapping him out of it. Thanks for the advice though. Will keep trying smile

Stuffofawesome Tue 08-Dec-15 19:09:22

Could still be sensitivity and hypersensitive sense of touch will make his clothes feel like they hurt. Might be the seams or labels which is often a reason kids refuse socks. You can get seamless socks which might help. Sometimes it is the elastic in clothes or sleeves. Find something he is comfy in which might involve some experimenting and then get lots of same thing

NotCitrus Tue 08-Dec-15 19:14:22

Can you get him dressed while he is distracted by telly? That's how I got mine dressed in Reception - put clothes on while watching, and if didn't cooperate, first pause, then turn TV off. Now doing same for nearly-4yo. Alternatively there's bribery (sticker chart), no TV until getting dressed, and the one only had to resort to twice - kick them outside and dress them on the doorstep...
Now ds gets dressed rapidly so he can choose a programme and then read.

Asteria36 Tue 08-Dec-15 19:17:17

DS refused to wear anything but a superman costume for months at that age, it may just be your son asserting his choices and pushing boundaries. On the other hand dss has spd- some days he cannot cope with anything, other days he has no problems. He is very particular about his clothes and favours softer, loose fitting ones. It might be an idea to see a HV and angel out any underlying problems.

Scootergrrrl Tue 08-Dec-15 19:17:39

How is he with pyjamas? We have occasionally resorted to sleeping in joggers and a t-shirt while going through clothes-refusing phases then just taking them to nursery "still in their pjs".

Asteria36 Tue 08-Dec-15 19:17:48

*cancel out (clearly not angel!)

Supertastic Wed 09-Dec-15 23:28:27

Thanks everyone. Have ordered some seamless socks. For children in need day they had to go to nursery in super hero outfits and we only had batman pyjamas. dS loved going to nursery in them so will try him sleeping in clothes and just going straight to nursery in the same. TV does sometimes work as an incentive but not always.
Tbh it's nice knowing it's not just my child that is this awkward! I think he's just a free spirited independent soul which is no bad thing really!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now