Talk

Advanced search

32 weeks pregnant and struggling with challenging behaviour of 2.5 year old

(4 Posts)
Kismet9 Mon 07-Dec-15 14:18:00

Hi everyone,
Some help or reassurance would be greatly appreciated. I am getting more anxious about my 2.5 year old son's behaviour and am starting to wonder is it normal, or am I losing perspective?
He has always been very lively and more full on than on other children of the same age. A little while ago I introduced the naughty step for his aggressive behaviour and this seemed to help. However, then he was quite ill for a while with one virus after another and since then his behaviour is worse than it has ever been. He frequently hits and occasionally bites and head butts me and his dad. He's getting worse at sharing. He slapped one of his friends in the face recently over a sharing issue.
Getting him dressed and especially brushing his teeth are extremely difficult. He will run away so I end up chasing him and having to grapple him back to his bedroom - not easy when pregnant and lacking energy. When we go/walk anywhere he runs away - again very difficult when I am pregnant. He is quite big and strong for his age.
He has lots of energy and is very forward when it comes to speech and language. But I am starting to wonder if he has ADHD as he can't concentrate for very long at all, he will colour in a book for about 1/2 minutes before going off to do something else. He can however concentrate on the television.
Sleeping is an issue as he wakes up before 6am everyday despite having a Gro clock and trying a reward system with him.
Finally, he has also become more clingy with me recently.
Anyway, I'm starting to become very concerned and often find myself in tears after another difficult outing or day, wondering if it is me that is doing something wrong. I've recently been using the 1, 2, 3 Magic system from the behaviour management book and am not confident that is helping though it is early days.
I don't have much support from family other than my partner who is very supportive but is currently under pressure at work.
If you can offer any advice or reassurance that this is all normal that would help as I don't think I can see the situation objectively any more and feel like a failure!
Thanks in advance,
x

minipie Mon 07-Dec-15 21:07:10

2.5 is a notoriously difficult age. Lack of sleep and tiredness from illnesses will make it worse, as will his growing realisation that DC2 is coming (hence clinginess). So yes, normal, but unpleasant.

If you can get him to sleep more somehow you will see a big difference IME. Does he still nap? I found DD resisted napping at that age but enforcing a nap (by going out in the buggy or car at a time I knew she was tired) really helped. Or perhaps earlier bedtime?

duplodancer Mon 07-Dec-15 21:11:00

Bless you! I could've written this a couple of years ago. It actually gets better when you have the baby. Honestly. It's all totally normal but also exhausting and frustrating. I find the terrible twos can strike at any point between 18 months and 4 years but when they do, they only actually last a few months. Grit your teeth and hang in there!

kinkytoes Mon 07-Dec-15 21:15:44

I feel your pain OP. My ds is 2.9 and I'm second trimester. Feels like the worst timing ever! I can say that most of your post resonated with me. I'm putting it down to the terrible twos and we're just not able to properly deal with it while pregnant. Sorry you haven't much support though. Do you work? It's important to get some sort of respite I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now