Talk

Advanced search

6 year old mixing "he" and "she"

(3 Posts)
ToysDontWorkNoMore Sat 05-Dec-15 16:48:29

I was wondering if anyone had any experience or insights into mixing of gender pronouns, as I though DS would have outgrown this by now. He has some autistic traits, but hasn't got a diagnosis. I was wondering if they were linked?

He is briggt, advanced at reading (well ahead of others in his class) and pretty good at everything else, as well. However he has emotional and social communication difficulties, as well as anxiety. He is also bilingual with his second language being one in which pronouns are genderless, so no distinction made between he and she. My feeling is, however, that it's not the cause of this mixing, as he mixes nothing else and his second language is not very strong.

Ferguson Sat 05-Dec-15 17:50:15

I don't think it is anything to worry about; if he is still doing it at twelve, THEN worry!

I was a primary TA for twenty years, and children often do things like this - it's a slip of the tongue, it doesn't mean they don't know the difference.

ToysDontWorkNoMore Sat 05-Dec-15 18:05:32

Thanks for your reply! That's reassuring to hear. However, I do wonder as it is so consistently wrong without any discernible bias towards either he or she..

Teachers have never mentioned it, and, oddly, I haven't thought of asking them about it either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now