Talk

Advanced search

6 Year old DD regressing

(11 Posts)
Chipembere Fri 04-Dec-15 20:34:24

Hi Mumsnet-ers

I have a talented 6 year old girl whom is regressing into pouty short tempered angst. So far so normal, however she has started to tell increasingly whopping lies, black is white and demanding ever more attention whilst bawling.

I guess its a stage and we have tried calm hugs with a listening ear and the slipper to little progress. I know there is a tendency to sentimentalise children these days and patronise them in the hope it will all be OK in the end. However, does anyone else experienced the same issues or some advice?

She has an increasingly independent younger brother, however she has a good relationship with him. How much do you let slide and how much do you correct?

TheHouseOnTheLane Fri 04-Dec-15 22:42:03

I have a DD aged 11 who has done this a few times in her life. Most recent was at the end of year 6! When she declared she was still into dolls and princesses and wouldn't be acting all grown up like her mates.

She does come out of these episodes though and I see them as her reaction to change.Has something changed in her life?

pookamoo Mon 07-Dec-15 21:15:08

"listening ear and the slipper" confused
Are you saying you have been hitting her with a slipper? [shocked]

I have a 6 year old DD (actually, 7 this week) and her behaviour is pretty much the same as you describe, btw. I believe it is normal.

I'd stick to the calm hugs and listening ear and forgo the slipper if I were you.

Try this book

MrsRonBurgundy Mon 07-Dec-15 21:21:01

The slipper?? Seriously?

DeltaZeta Mon 07-Dec-15 21:24:15

What??? Are you really hitting her??? Jesus. If you are, fucking stop it right now.

It's the end of a very long term. Many small children are tired, irritable and unreasonable at this time of year. The poor little love sounds exhausted.

thebestfurchinchilla Mon 07-Dec-15 21:38:12

Sounds like a phase. Stick to your guns and be consistent about what is acceptable and what isn't. Try not to escalate your reaction in line with her behaviour as that just might be the attention she craves, good or bad. Don't mean to patronise but make sure she has lots of time with you, reading, playing so she doesn't need to demand your attention. Good luck.

WaitingForSnow Mon 07-Dec-15 21:43:14

Is she sleeping ok?

DownstairsMixUp Mon 07-Dec-15 21:44:40

I have a six year old boy. You can't hit them with slippers [shocked]

Clarella Tue 08-Dec-15 18:29:32

I was going to suggest exactly the book suggested above.

Works with husbands too grin

Please forgo the slipper. All it teaches is to hit.

Clarella Tue 08-Dec-15 18:30:27

Love bombing works at any age.

www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2012/sep/22/oliver-james-love-bombing-children

PourquoiTuGachesTaVie Tue 08-Dec-15 18:34:19

No wonder she is behaving badly if you're hitting her with a slipper! Isn't hitting with an object actually illegal?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now