Talk

Advanced search

DS (3.10) cooperation delay

(4 Posts)
wwyd123 Tue 01-Dec-15 22:43:34

My DS (3.10) has speech delay, glue ear (had grommets in June, back to ENT in a few weeks to see if they are still working. He currently has yet another ear infection) and his speech therapist says he has cooperation delay.

He is a lovely boy very caring and gentle with his peers and littler ones, but very stubborn, uncooperative if he doesn't want to do something, rarely responds to bribes.

He started school nursery in September, he is the only one that will shout at the teacher, refuse to sit at the carpet, tidy toys. His teacher or the TA will spend 15 / 20 minutes 1 to 1 to persuade him to do something, during which he will shout and hit out at them.

I have a communication book from the school (the only one in his class to have this) which list all the 'wrong choices' he has made each day. Lots of praise is given at school and at home when he is well behaved at school.

I would like to know if anyone has any advise on strategies to improve his behaviour at school, I will then ask for a meeting with school to see if these things could be tried as I think his teacher is struggling with him.

JellyMouldJnr Tue 01-Dec-15 22:50:39

How aware is the teacher of his possible hearing difficulties? Glue ear can be difficult for teachers to respond to because it is so variable and so hidden - he could be able to hear one day and not the next. It's important that she or he is following good practice for hearing difficulties - e.g. always getting his attention before speaking, making sure your face is visible etc. It might also be that a classroom environment is quite overwhelming with hearing and communication difficulties. Could they look at him having more time in quieter environments with smaller groups?

wwyd123 Tue 01-Dec-15 22:55:22

I will suggest quieter /smaller groups, thanks.

I spoke with her at the home visit and said that at his day nursery they made a special quiet corner for him, and she said they have cushions by the book area where he could go to when he wanted.

wwyd123 Tue 01-Dec-15 22:57:35

sorry missed your first point, the teacher is aware of his hearing and I think she does make sure he is listening. I asked her to give a 2 minuet warning for when he had to tidy away the toys he is playing with and she implied that she would go to him one to one to tell him, but I will check when I speak to her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now