Talk

Advanced search

yes no questions - what age?

(13 Posts)
helloyoulot Tue 01-Dec-15 11:50:01

Hello, just a general question really. When did your children understand and answer yes no questions. Also, what would you expect from an 18 month old with regards to answering and understanding these types of simple questions?

mrsnec Tue 01-Dec-15 12:02:46

Watching with interest buy don't have any answers because dd is only 14 months.

She has zero vocabulary but does seem to understand No. Although can't say it.

I think it's another one of those things that varies a great deal in terms of development. I'm not particularly worried at the moment.

winchester1 Tue 01-Dec-15 12:08:18

At 18 months no was his answer to everything grin
He was around two yrs when he started to get yes and no correct.

polkadotdelight Tue 01-Dec-15 13:03:58

14 month old DS understands whay no means and can nod yes in answer to questions BUT its his standard answer to any question so I dont believe he knows what it means!

rach2713 Tue 01-Dec-15 15:15:45

My daughter was 11 months saying no only cuz it's a favourite word in my house with older son and everyone uses it a lot lol

ToElleWithIt Tue 01-Dec-15 15:32:42

My 18 month old understands and answers simple yes/no questions (although he can't say "yes" clearly so it's nod and "ah"). When I say simple I mean "Do you want a green bean?" "Do you want a banana?" "Will we go to the park?" "Are you going to be good?" etc.. I haven't noticed if his pals are the same. Typically he has been middle-of-the-pack for other milestones.

helloyoulot Tue 01-Dec-15 19:03:14

Thanks, seems there's a vast range of normal from 18-30 months. I'd read an article saying by 30 months but seems some are able much younger.

Rinceoir Tue 01-Dec-15 19:51:40

My 19 month old has had yes and no right for the last few weeks. Only very simple yes and no questions though. And if she's not sure the reflex answer is no.

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Tue 01-Dec-15 19:53:41

Mine was about 18/19 months when she really mastered yes and no. Before that she just said no to everything!

winchester1 Tue 01-Dec-15 21:30:37

I've come back to revise my answer I thourght mine understood but I think now its just my tone and inflection of voice. I did the normal did you have fun today, do you want a snack, shall we have a nap (always no) quesions today -answers all as expected, so i then tried did you see an elephant today, di yo go swiming, did you see your cousin and everything was yes which clearly it shouldn't have been, He is 2.3.

helloyoulot Wed 02-Dec-15 07:50:21

I think thats quite typical for the age. He probably knows the answer to the first few and so gave the right answer. I think when they're not sure of the answer they often say yes as they think that's the expected response. Very interesting.

ArriettyMatilda Wed 02-Dec-15 18:26:41

About 6 months ago my nearly two year old would say no to everything! Now she says yes to pretty much everything, unless it's something she really doesn't want.

Littlef00t Wed 02-Dec-15 21:45:07

Dd is 20 months and has been sure of yes, no for a while. Esp when asking her does she want... Nap, snack, baby, milk, bath etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now