Talk

Advanced search

Night waking 14 mos - getting rid of dummy

(8 Posts)
manana21 Tue 01-Dec-15 06:10:25

My lovely dd has a dummy to go to sleep but some nights wakes up several times and cries until it's put back in. We both work ft and are exhausted - how do we strategise getting rid of it? The little monkey flings it across her room so no chance of her putting it back herself.

UnicornFart Tue 01-Dec-15 08:20:27

Shamelessly marking my place. My 13 month DS is the same, and I'm running on empty.

Up every 2hrs last night & I have a 10hr night shift to contend with later confused

Millionprammiles Tue 01-Dec-15 08:38:32

The turning point for our dd was her being able to pick up one of the (many) dummies littered in the cot herself. By 14 months she was able (though not always willing) to do this.
We did have a few weeks at 11-12 months when we had to take longer and longer to go in to give her the dummy so she started to try to find it herself.
We both work ft and couldn't deal with getting up every couple of hours.

Put lots of dummies in the cot, I think you can even get glow in the dark ones. Use cot bumpers or similar to stop them falling out of the sides. Repeatedly tell/show your dd where they are. And do give her the opportunity to find them herself (we used a cot camera to keep an eye on dd).

Lots of people will tell you to get rid of the dummy but to be honest I wouldn't bother if its only for sleep time. Dd gave it up herself at 2.5. No speech or teeth problems. And it really helped her sleep better.

BitOutOfPractice Tue 01-Dec-15 08:53:55

I remember this exact same thing. We just went cold turkey. Dd1 cried for half an hour the first night and then, peace.

manana21 Tue 01-Dec-15 10:16:25

Last night the dummy was behind her one time and we are so knackered it can be 10 mins before we can get out of bed. They are useful but she does already sleep without it for her 2 days a week at nursery. On the whole it'd be better if she didn't wake up for it as she's tired a lot in the day too - thanks for the replies! Good luck with your night shift unicorn

qazxc Sun 06-Dec-15 22:33:10

Also marking space as I feel I'm up and down like a yo-yo most nights.

Pico2 Sun 06-Dec-15 22:43:23

My DD is 10 months and was waking every 5 mins through the evening for her dummy. She did sleep through the night though. We went cold turkey just over a week ago and you wouldn't know she'd had a dummy. She might need resettling once in the evening now instead of 8 times. I'm really pleased with how it's gone.

We had tried attaching the dummy to a sleepytot so it didn't fall out of her cot, but she hadn't worked out how to put it back in.

manana21 Mon 07-Dec-15 10:25:13

we went cold turkey after posting and it wasn't too bad, we had 2 jags of 20 mins of crying the 2nd night (she was too tired the first night, we were lucky) and she does seem happier if anything in the day which is bizarre!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now