Talk

Advanced search

Signs of development delay in baby

(6 Posts)
Hillijx Wed 25-Nov-15 14:08:22

i know all babies develop in their own time and some just like to take their time but I was wondering if anyone whose child was tested for/diagnosed with developmental delay if there were any hallmarks or particular signs........

Dd3 is almost 8 months, she can sit with support but not for long without support. Not moving at all, even when lying on her back she doesn't move an inch from the position she is put in. She can't roll in either direction (doesn't really attempt to) not the biggest fan of tummy time and when she has had enough she just puts her head down and cries with no attempt to move from the position. She isn't really babbling, won't hold any weight on her legs if held up, doesn't clap/bang toys together. She is a happy baby, she just likes to smile at me! I am swinging between thinking she is just very chilled out and taking her time and worrying that there is actually something wrong.

I have an 8 month review with the health visitors so will obviously bring up my concerns with them but I just wanted to hear of anyone with experience so I know what to look out for or if I am just being silly?

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 25-Nov-15 19:55:45

It is unusual but not unheard of. My DS never moved if he was on the floor and hated tummy time with a passion. He's now doing well at high school so don't worry too much. I would get her checked out for not putting attempting to stand, with support obviously. Sometimes it can be an indication that she may have a slight problem with her hips.

Hillijx Wed 25-Nov-15 20:22:32

aahhh that makes sense, she has a slight curve in her back and they have X-rayed her lower back....this would show up the hips as well right? Although you would think I would relax by the third we nearly lost her during the pregnancy so I am overly worried there is something wrong and she is just so much further behind than my other two. They are all different though so must bear that in mind!

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 26-Nov-15 18:59:31

Are you going to mention it to the GP anyway?

Hillijx Thu 26-Nov-15 20:11:27

We now have an 8 month review (we didn't get that with my other two) so I will mention it then, until then she is on a strict exercise regime of tummy time and more tummy time! i was wondering if because she is number 3 she is in the buggy a lot for school runs or put in the high chair during long meal times where I'm sorting everyone out so maybe she just hasn't had enough floor time......

SteamPunkGoth Thu 26-Nov-15 20:13:55

Mention it. Try and get a referral to a paediatrician. Appointments are usually months away so if she ends up not needing it, then you can cancel.

Hope it's nothing obviously.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: