Talk

Advanced search

Poorly 1 year old keeps jerking as he goes to sleep

(9 Posts)
ToBedToBed Mon 23-Nov-15 19:13:51

1 year old has high temperature, just started on antibiotics for unknown infection. Every time he's tried to go to sleep today he keeps jerking as he nods off (similar to when you feel like you're falling as u go to sleep) any ideas why he's doing this? He's just done it about 6 times as he's falling asleep on my lap?

larrygrylls Mon 23-Nov-15 19:15:20

He may be low on oxygen. I would get him checked out at A&E. Hope he is better soo

LovelyWeatherForDucks Mon 23-Nov-15 19:16:51

My DS used to do that with a really high temperature - once turned into a febrile convulsion. Try and get his temp down if it's still high.

Doublebubblebubble Mon 23-Nov-15 19:19:25

Has he had any Calpol recently??

Not to freak you out but is it possible that he's fitting (febrile convulsion) because of the high temp??. My DD had a fit due to a high temp (she had tonsillitis) and her movements were very jerky. Id personally want him seen (try to video the movement for the Drs) xx good luck xx

Doublebubblebubble Mon 23-Nov-15 19:21:39

Also strip him off and keep him cool because the weather is so poo outside you might be making the problem worse by wrapping him up (something we all instinctively do) x

May09Bump Mon 23-Nov-15 19:23:20

I would get him checked out asap - my sons was like this with severe tonsillitis.

ToBedToBed Mon 23-Nov-15 19:43:15

Eek. Ok I'll call 111 thank you x

larrygrylls Mon 23-Nov-15 19:59:22

Check his breathing. Count breaths in a minute. Much over 30 is too high. Also see if there are any signs of the flesh being pulled in around his ribs or throat. These are all signs of struggling for breath. If any are present, straight to A&E.

I know our son was like that when his sats were a bit low.

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 24-Nov-15 08:49:15

I do it when I'm really unwell, like a chest infection, and my dd does it too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now