Talk

Advanced search

Why does a five year old suddenly start bed wetting?

(16 Posts)
DevonFolk Mon 23-Nov-15 05:25:19

She's just never been a bed wetter before; even when she was still in nappies she was dry in the morning.

Nothing's changed in terms of her routine or how much she drinks. They only thing I can think of is that she's particularly tired from school these days. Is that enough to make a difference? I often end up lifting her if she's had a bit more to drink than normal but it's becoming more regular now. Blimmin pain in the arse when she's wearing a onesie hmm

Any pearls of wisdom or is this just something that we'll move on from?

MrsTerryPratchett Mon 23-Nov-15 05:36:40

Could be tiredness. Can also sometimes be a sign of trauma. I don't want to worry you, though, it's probably not. But have there been any changes, divorce, new people, anything like that?

Or medical cause. UTI?

timeforabrewnow Mon 23-Nov-15 05:50:21

Tiredness. Yes, you might have to lift her at 11 pm (or whatever time). A onesie has a zip, so not that much of a pain smile.

Had to do this with my son until he was 8/9 - so hopefully not that long for you

Teenagecrisisagain Mon 23-Nov-15 05:55:14

Please see the gp to rule out anything medical
My dd has type 1 diabetes and her first symptom was soaking her nappy every night. We thought she had a uti. She didn't start drinking lots till much later on so it isn't always the first symptom like many think
She was however very tired. I don't want to worry you but had to mention it just in case

Hopefully it is just tiredness and nothing more but please mention her symptoms to the doctor and get a blood glucose test done it's quick, virtually painless and could rule out/confirm a very serious condition

TheSkiingGardener Mon 23-Nov-15 06:30:06

Don't know but my DS is going through a period of the same. He has just had a huge growth spurt though so I'm wondering if that's got anything to do with it.

DevonFolk Mon 23-Nov-15 06:39:21

Thanks everyone. No traumas going on for her so tiredness looking most likely at the moment. I'll bear in mind the blood sugar thing, thank you.

DevonFolk Mon 23-Nov-15 06:39:30

Oh and she has had a recent growth sp

DevonFolk Mon 23-Nov-15 06:39:52

Spurt!

TheSkiingGardener Mon 23-Nov-15 13:29:31

Something normally goes of of kilter with each growth spurt. I'm going to give it a week or two and see if it settles down again. Hope it does for your DD

YesterdayOnceMore Mon 23-Nov-15 13:32:44

Whilst it's normal for 5 years not to be dry at night, a sudden onset in a previously dry child does indicate that something is going on.

Are you sure there are no traumas at school? I know when I was at school and started getting bullied, I didn't tell my mum anything was wrong as I couldn't verbalise it, but I did start wetting the bed.

Or a medical issue. Worth taking her to the doctor to make sure it isn't a UTI or something.

Seriouslyffs Mon 23-Nov-15 13:39:33

It's also just got a lot colder- might she be choosing to snuggle back to sleep when she wakes up needing the loo rather than going?

SconeForAStroll Mon 23-Nov-15 13:47:42

Just to echo teenage - one of the first symptoms (I now realise) of my ds also becoming Type 1 diabetic, was wetting the bed. He was 9. Also tummy aches and later sickness, but not diarrhoea.

DevonFolk Mon 23-Nov-15 18:50:50

Thank you for further replies.

She's never in her life got up in the night for a wee so almost certainly not a case of not wanting to get cold.

School problems. Hmm. She and I spend an awful lot of time discussing stuff, mainly because of the nature of my job working with children, so she's very aware of the importance of sharing how she's feeling and talking about worries both in and out of school. I would really hope that's not the case purely because she knows how important it is and she's very good at talking.

I might ring nhs direct to see what they say. She's never wet the bed once I've lifted her if that makes any difference.

Normanpriceisnotarolemodel Tue 24-Nov-15 21:57:30

My 5 year old wets the bed occasionally (once every 4-6 months or so). It can always be traced back to him being upset or worried about something.

thenewbroom Wed 25-Nov-15 00:17:47

When my daughter was 4- 5 she did this a number of times over the summer (she had been consistently dry at night since age 2). I got panicky about diabetes etc but did just turn out that she was tired (on holiday we had kept a few late hours, out for dinner etc) and it led to a few accidents. It very quickly resolved itself once she wasn't so tired. Hope yours does too.

Charleymouse Wed 25-Nov-15 00:21:00

Worms? Take a torch just after bedtime and look at her bum.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now