Talk

Advanced search

18 month old being fussy with food

(5 Posts)
BeeXxX Sun 22-Nov-15 18:56:54

I have no idea if this is in the right place.
My 18month old is being really fussy with food, more specifically around tea time. He's never been like this before. It's been happening the past couple of weeks. At first I thought maybe it's teething (he's getting both sets of canine teeth) but I'm not sure.
He typically won't eat sandwiches...but loves tough crusty bread on its own. But he loves things like curry, rice, sweet potato etc but I feel like I keep giving the same things all the time and he's getting fussy with it. I've tried a few new things which he isn't eating.
He's usually a brilliant eater but now I don't know what's going on.
Can anyone advise me on new things I could try? Recipes or just meal ideas. Or is there something I should watch out for?...like him drinking too much or anything.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 22-Nov-15 21:52:43

Sounds perfectly normal for a toddler, especially at teatime when they are tired.

How much milk would you say he has in 24 hours? Could he be filling up on milk instead of solids?

BeeXxX Sun 22-Nov-15 23:31:14

He doesn't have milk anymore apart from with his weetabix and in any cheese or dairy he has.
I hope he starts to get back to normal soon, I feel like he should be hungry and I worry when he pushes food away. X

bebo100 Mon 23-Nov-15 01:49:07

Try not to react if he's not eating. My LO used to eat everything up to about a year, then gradually became fussier and fussier until he'd virtually only eat toast. He's 2 1/2 now and will happily eat everything again, he's just gradually got better over the last 6 months.
When the fussiness first started I used to offer up another food option, it was only when I was on my third food option one teatime I realised I wasn't helping.
Just always make sure there are 3 or 4 items on his plate. He can't genuinely hate all of that and if he chooses not to eat it, that's all you can do - you've offered.
Beware of snacks and large drinks in particular in the run up to mealtimes, everything is more appetising when you are hungry.

bebo100 Mon 23-Nov-15 02:00:26

Ps. Include them in the food 'production' as much as you can - putting the pasta in a pan, helping you 'chop' vegetables. Even just letting them fill their own pitta with cheese, tomato etc helps

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now