loader

Talk

Advanced search

Toddler bit my baby, WWYD?

(13 Posts)
shiteforbrains Thu 19-Nov-15 14:57:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

thatstoast Thu 19-Nov-15 15:03:39

As you didn't mention it at the time, I wouldn't say anything now.

I'm sure it's something the mother is aware of and trying to deal with. It wasn't calculated and nasty at 2, no matter what it seemed like.

shiteforbrains Thu 19-Nov-15 15:08:44

lightgreenglass Thu 19-Nov-15 15:14:44

I know some children are bitters but why didn't you call her out on it or speak to her mother when it happened? I would be bringing it up for sure, she left teeth marks in your DS. She needs to be told that her behaviour is unacceptable when it happens.

shiteforbrains Thu 19-Nov-15 15:25:17

Doyouthinktheysaurus Thu 19-Nov-15 15:37:19

What she did wasn't nice at all but she's 2! Some children are biters. The mum is almost certainly aware. It's horrible when your child is bitten and seems such an unpleasant thing to do but some children do bite.

I think you missed the moment to say something TBH, you could say something to the mum if you see her again but don't say anything directly to the 2 year old, she won't understand the context.

My ds1 was a biter, it's horrible. It used to be me and ds2 that got it mostly but I had a period of following him like a hawk just in case. He still managed to throw a toy at a baby which hit her and push a 1 year old over when he was 2. It was an awful time.

Fwiw he is the most delightful 13 year old now.

Hope your baby is ok.

thatstoast Thu 19-Nov-15 16:25:34

She really won't understand/remember at that age. Just leave it and if/when your child gets to that stage you can remember that you were kind about it. I know it's hard when your child is hurt but you are literally the bigger person.

shiteforbrains Fri 20-Nov-15 09:42:40

TheHouseOnTheLane Fri 20-Nov-15 12:59:47

It IS hard isn't it. Neither of my children were biters or hitters....but I do accept that some simply are...no matter how well they're brought up! My nephew is two and he will randomly walk up to my DD and whack her in the head with some metal keys for example.

I feel outrage but can only say "No." in a sharpish voice and remove him from the situation. MIL is never taking notice hmm

DixieNormas Fri 20-Nov-15 13:09:04

Ds1 was a biter, this reminded me he once bit my friends baby. He was a little bit younger when he went through the biting stage, it was awful.

He's 20 now and hasn't bitten anyone for a very long time luckily!

I wouldn't say anything now, she won't remember what she did. Hope your ds is ok

DixieNormas Fri 20-Nov-15 13:12:42

His dad used to do pretend biting when kissing him messing about the idiot which I think was the start of it. He would go in for a kiss and bite

Indantherene Fri 20-Nov-15 13:28:47

I was outraged when a similar thing happened to my PFB at Toddlers. Once my DC2 was a Toddler he made a point of biting and pushing one particular baby blush.

Some children bite and there is little anyone can do to stop them. If it's any consolation you feel far far worse as the mother of the biter than as the mother of the victim.

NickyEds Fri 20-Nov-15 15:42:19

You're doing the right thing. It would be different if the mum had seen it happen and ignored it. I go to a toddler group with ds (23 months) and dd (18 weeks) and the toddlers are all over dd-it's a minefield! My friends little boy can be quite rough and pulls hair so she keeps him away from dd but he's pulled ds's hair a few times. It's hard but just one of those things-ds could yet turn into a biter so it's best to be kind I think.

They are little hooligans aren't they!??! You hear the mums and childminders ..."is yours a hair puller then? mine's a biter", "oh mine nips and is a nappy remover!"....and the one I heard last week "mine's started to headbutt". Lovely aren't theywink!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now