Talk

Advanced search

2 year old not pooing!

(2 Posts)
TiesThatBind Tue 17-Nov-15 23:08:51

My DS is 2.2 and potty trained a few weeks ago. He was telling us when he was weeing and took great pleasure in weeing into his toy cups in the bath, so we thought we would give it a whirl. He has been basically dry since Day One, but won't poo on the loo (or in his pants).

He waits till he has a nappy on at nap time or overnight and poos then. It is disrupting his sleep, but more importantly I think "holding it in" is starting to make him a bit constipated.

Any advice on how to help him poo on the loo/potty? Otherwise I think we will go back to nappies as I don't want him to get chronic constipation. Thank you!

PirateJones Wed 18-Nov-15 02:44:51

This is so common it's pretty much perfectly normal, Try not to worry.
This could take months, please don't rush it and let him do it in his own time. Even school age children have this trouble.

The first step is to let him have a nappy to poo, put him in it earlier than you normally would, but get him to go into the bathroom to poo in the nappy.

When he's finished let him have a go at wiping (Over the nappy) and flushing the tissue, then change him in there and do hand washing.

After a while of this slowly him closer to the toilet each day until he is sitting on it with the nappy on. Still wiping over it, flushing the paper, you changing him then hand washing.

Once these have been mastered and he's comfortable doing these steps.

Cut a hole in the nappy.

After a month or two slowly make the hole bigger and bigger until you just have him in the waist band of the nappy.

Then remove what is left.

It took us well over a year but we got there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now