Talk

Advanced search

2.2 year old wants to drink 4-7 bottles at night

(42 Posts)
hartmel Sat 14-Nov-15 19:56:52

He was always a great sleeper, he drank one bottle of warm milk before bedtime then he slept till 5/6 am had another bottle and fell asleep till 8/9. But for a week now he wants to drink 3-4 bottles before bedtime and then 2-3 bottles in the night.. His first words in the morning is "thirsty"
I tried giving him more to drink during the day but it made no difference, the last two nights I told him he is only allowed two bottles before bedtime and one during the night (I mixed 1/4 milk with water) and my heart was hurting because he fell asleep crying because he wanted to drink..

Should I be worried that something is wrong with him or is he just in growth spurt time.

llhj Sat 14-Nov-15 20:00:02

Wow that is a huge amount. Get him to the GP to check for diabetes and a general once over. I think that's quite a increase to take in your stride as a growth spurt. How's his appetitie?

jemsywemsy Sat 14-Nov-15 20:00:09

That is a lot of milk. I would get him to the GP for a check over. Does he eat well in the day?

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Sat 14-Nov-15 20:00:32

I'm no expert but that does sound like a lot. What is his eating like during the day? My 2 year old DD has a cup of milk before bed and that's it, no other milk.
I would probably take him to the GP to be safe as excess thirst can be linked to diabetes.

MrsAukerman Sat 14-Nov-15 20:01:36

What's in the bottles? Surely in the night just a beaker of water should be all he is offered?

RandomMess Sat 14-Nov-15 20:01:58

Another one to say get a check for diabetes and I'd be tempted to go to a walk in clinic tomorrow tbh.

BathshebaDarkstone Sat 14-Nov-15 20:03:29

Is he hungry or thirsty? Could you just give him water? I'd ask the HV. smile

museumum Sat 14-Nov-15 20:03:22

That's a crazy amount of milk. I'd be offering water and/or food.

EliGold Sat 14-Nov-15 20:03:34

IMO milk should not be so important at this age. He is not getting enough food during the day. Or possibly not enough water (or both). Is he eating 3 good meals a day and at least 2 snacks? My DD at that age (she is now 2.11) had breakfast weetabix with whole milk followed by whole meal toast, mid-morning snack or fruit, lunch something like pasta with cumcumber/tomato/ follows by yoghurt or fruit or custard and something, afternoon snack of something like carrot sticks and humous then dinner of meat/fish and veggies plus pudding of maybe sponge or cake or yoghurt or jelly etc. Water and milk in between. DD has always been average 50th centile since about 18 months before that was very small 9th to 25th centile. DS who is very thin but tall relied heavily on milk and didn't like to eat as much. Hope that helps.

Flossieflower01 Sat 14-Nov-15 20:04:36

Get him checked for diabetes ASAP- if not tonight keep a close eye on him and look out for fruity breath, extra sleepiness and if he seems at all unwell go to A&E.

villainousbroodmare Sat 14-Nov-15 20:04:48

GP with him.

guineapig1 Sat 14-Nov-15 20:07:07

What happens if he has waters in a sippy cup instead? Is it specifically milki in a bottle he wants or is he happy with water? I think I'd be inclined to visit GP for advice if he is drinking loads of water. If it just the bottles of milk it may be a comfort thing but if you are concerned please visit you GP, that's what they are there for.

mrsmugoo Sat 14-Nov-15 20:07:50

Sounds excessive. I'm sure he's medically fine but he shouldn't be given this amount of milk (by you).

My 20 month old has one cup of milk at bedtime as a nice relaxing bedtime drink then water at all other times (including in the night) if thirsty.

Stirling84 Sat 14-Nov-15 20:11:40

Given its a Saturday - I'd call out of hours doc tonight for advice - don't wait till Monday.

TonyMaguire Sat 14-Nov-15 20:12:05

What happens if you put the milk into a cup? Do you think he would eat more during the day? Back when DD was born the guidance was to stop bottles at 1, but I'm not sure why.

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Sat 14-Nov-15 20:14:22

DD stopped having as much milk when we stopped bottles at 18 months. It was the bottle she wanted, not the milk. Have you tried giving the milk in a cup? Or giving water? If he's genuinely thirsty he'll drink it.

hartmel Sat 14-Nov-15 20:24:12

I tried giving water in the bottle but he flat out refuses it. He will drink water/tea during the day in a cup or bottle (not a baby bottle)
He is not a great water, but some days he could eat all day. I make sure that he has a good breakfast (he hates breakfast) and snack between meals..

shutupanddance Sat 14-Nov-15 20:24:40

I'd cut the bottles out totally. Bribe him with a reward.

shutupanddance Sat 14-Nov-15 20:26:18

Good point about diabetes.

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Sat 14-Nov-15 20:29:51

If he's refusing water he's probably not genuinely thirsty.

guineapig1 Sat 14-Nov-15 20:30:25

If he is refusing water but wants milk my view (no medical qualifications at all!!) is that he's either hungry or uses the bottle as a kind of comfort blanket. Could you offer him porridge or yoghurt and a banana about half an hour before bed to see if that helps?

TonyMaguire Sat 14-Nov-15 20:31:06

So is it a sports cap type bottle? What happens if gets milk in a cup?

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Sat 14-Nov-15 20:31:47

Have you tried offering a cup at night?

TonyMaguire Sat 14-Nov-15 20:31:59

Sorry, x post. I'm also wondering whether the bottle itself is what he's attached to, if that makes sense.

hartmel Sat 14-Nov-15 20:50:03

I tried giving him yoghurt and porridge before bedtime. Did not work.. He used to have a soother 2 weeks before he turned 2. Didn't had a problem since then. It is a sippy bottle. Which resembles very much like his soother..

I will try to give him milk in a cup tonight and see how that goes.
If it does not get better by Monday I will take him to GP

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now