Talk

Advanced search

Can I ask a really stupid question about weaning

(14 Posts)
jbee1979 Fri 13-Nov-15 23:52:36

DD is 27 weeks tomorrow. Shes been EBF and started baby rice with breast milk.

What is the deal with water? Tonight she had a BM feed, a little bit of potato and carrot/parsnip, but another BM feed to "wash it down".

When will she need a sippy cup? Should the water be boiled/cooled or is tap water okay?

We have porridge to mix with water (according to the instructions) - should this be boiled/cooled?

Sorry if this is a really silly question (PFB smile)

Thanks in advance

CultureSucksDownWords Fri 13-Nov-15 23:56:59

I'd offer water in a free flow sippy cup at each meal, and not expect any/much to be drunk at all to begin with. Just to get used to the idea of a cup and drinking water.

Tap water is fine, no need to boil and cool it! Same for water in food like the porridge.

jbee1979 Sat 14-Nov-15 00:08:14

Thank you for your quick reply! It'll be breakfast time in the blink of an eye! Good night! Zzzzzz smile

ffffffedup Sat 14-Nov-15 05:52:19

I always use cooled boiled water but it's up to you. Also when making the porridge I use lukewarm boiled water

dementedpixie Sat 14-Nov-15 13:09:50

Tap water is fine as a drink from 6 months. Surely the water would need to be warm to make the porridge so using boiled water would be the easiest thing to do.

Queendedede Sat 14-Nov-15 19:25:07

I always used cooled boiled water too until about 9mo. I just offered water at every meal in a sippy cup, he loved it!

KikiShack Sat 14-Nov-15 19:27:53

The food is so unsterile that there is no point in giving sterile water!
Each to their own etc, just bringing some logic to it if you're not sure since some people do pointlessly IMO give cooled boiled...

winchester1 Sat 14-Nov-15 19:28:24

Tap water from around 4 months here and never had any issues with either kid.

Queendedede Sat 14-Nov-15 19:41:01

After boiling/steaming to death the food I gave to my kids while weaning I would like to know how it would be just as contaminated as water out of pipes and taps..... I erred on the side of caution anyway, but I wouldn't say it was pointless to boil it first if it makes you feel more comfortable.

CultureSucksDownWords Sat 14-Nov-15 20:09:47

Did you never give fruit like banana? That's not going to be sterile or boiled/steamed?

Queendedede Sat 14-Nov-15 20:51:38

True, but I don't think the amount of contamination inside a banana is comparable to the amount possible in tap water..... But I may be wrong!

CultureSucksDownWords Sat 14-Nov-15 21:03:05

In the UK, I think it's probably comparable.

Queendedede Sat 14-Nov-15 21:17:36

smile

CelestiaLuna Sat 14-Nov-15 21:45:39

I always gave mine cooled boiled water from a few months old up until around a year old.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now