Talk

Advanced search

My ds doesn't seem to be able to say "yello"

(29 Posts)
BellasGoose Tue 10-Nov-15 15:24:54

My little boy is happy, healthy and seems to be right on cue developmentally. I'm not writing this thread because I'm worried about him at all. I'm just curious to see if anyone else's child does the same thing.
Basically, his speech, vocab and pronunciation are awesome. He can say just about any word/sentence he hears. But there's just one little word that he's either unable to pronounce correctly or is just being stubborn about correcting and that's "yellow". It's really funny, he has always said "leo" ever since he started learning his colours and I thought it was so cute! I'm not one of those mums who speaks/encourages baby language but I don't correct him every time he says things wrong either. I figure he will learn on his own eventually from listening to us. He's only little and it's such a small thing.
So, I'm interested to know, does anyone else's pickle seem to only struggle with that one word?

LemonBreeland Tue 10-Nov-15 15:28:52

Yellow is a pretty common one. DS2 was about 5 or even 6 before he could say it. He would say lellow. DD is 4 and she also says lellow. She struggles to say yellow even when the word is broken down.

DD also can't say certificate adn says tifitik which is quite cute.

BellasGoose Tue 10-Nov-15 15:29:46

...or does anyone else's LO have any one particular word they struggle with which you'd think would be quite easy to say? And do you think they are unable to say it properly or simply choose not to? Thanks x

ArmchairTraveller Tue 10-Nov-15 15:31:23

lelo/yellow is common in nursery and reception IME. How old is he?

dodobookends Tue 10-Nov-15 15:31:57

Puntkin

Clocktit

Lopalopalotta

Mops

...any guesses?!!

EeyoresTail Tue 10-Nov-15 15:33:40

Apparently the "yuh" sound is one of the last sounds that children master so I wouldn't worry op

BellasGoose Tue 10-Nov-15 15:34:34

Thanks LemonBreeland! Yeah I guess it is quite tricky. Well they will all learn eventually, we'll let them keep being cute in the meantime haha

GardeningWithDynamite Tue 10-Nov-15 15:35:21

Mine (who does everything backwards) said yeyyow, not lellow.

BellasGoose Tue 10-Nov-15 15:36:26

He's only 2.5 which is why it doesn't make me worry smile

waitingforsomething Tue 10-Nov-15 20:24:11

My 3 year old talks beautifully apart from:
Lello for yellow
Pasketti for spaghetti
Ockshire bukudding; for Yorkshire pudding!

The top 2 I have heard every child ive ever met say. The bottom one is her own special quirk which i find extra cute!!

Biscuitsneeded Tue 10-Nov-15 20:27:54

My DS 1 had horrendous pronunciation for ages, then it suddenly all fell into place in reception. DS 2, by contrast, spoke beautifully, but couldn't say 'biscuits'. For a while they were spitgits, which has stuck in our family...

originalmavis Tue 10-Nov-15 20:31:24

I can't say physalis. Luckily it doesn't come up often as I don't like them.

My neicw couldn't say teddy bear for ages
Tebby dere.

TheWildRumpyPumpus Tue 10-Nov-15 21:13:20

DH (41) still can't say mural - he calls them muriels. The children (5 and 8) have no such problems!

BrokenBananaTantrum Tue 10-Nov-15 21:18:11

DD used to say lellow for yellow even when the rest of her speech was good. I know she say Y though

Me: yummy
DD: yummy
Me :yummy
DD: yummy
Me: yellow
DD: lello

If speech is otherwise mostly fine don't worry. He'll get it.

thornrose Tue 10-Nov-15 21:19:22

Yeyyo or leyyo or any other variant is quite common IME.

Dd used to say fagetti for spaghetti and oddly mix up her shoulder and her elbow!

My cousin always said downsnairs and upstairs. grin

AliciaMayEmory Tue 10-Nov-15 21:24:17

DD said 'nerrow' for yellow, 'norripop' for lollipop and 'umbrever' for brella until she was about 4. Now she's 8 she can say everything properly except remote control is a 'comoke control'! At 2.5 yo I wouldn't be worrying in the slightest at any little mispronunciations. DS couldn't even talk at 2.5! He did sound effects for everything! You know, 'oooh oooh' for train, 'bruuuuuuuum' for car and then a strange coughing sound which was for tractor !

tictactoad Tue 10-Nov-15 21:26:24

Ds2 could never manage it. Yellow is 'lellow' here to this day grin

CocktailQueen Tue 10-Nov-15 21:30:19

Dodo:

Pumpkin
Chocolate
Lots and lots of ???
No idea!

SueGeneris Tue 10-Nov-15 21:36:07

Not quite mispronunciation but until recently DS aged 7 was misreading 'furnace' (on Minecraft) as 'furnface'. Which sounded painful.

I wish I had remembered all the mispronunciations over the years. It's a very cute stage.

Haahooooo Wed 11-Nov-15 21:55:55

DS (18 months) mixes up consonants all the time. Like Motas when he's trying to say Thomas, or Cati when he's trying to say taxi. Also he very helpfully says cock instead of sock.

DD (three) still says aminals instead of animals and actually I think I've started saying it too smile

dodobookends Wed 11-Nov-15 22:45:55

Cocktail

Helicopter and wasp grin

I have another one for you: Dupsims

Wobblystraddle Wed 11-Nov-15 22:48:37

It's a classic substitution. Some sounds aren't possible for children to say until they are 4, possibly even older. Nothing to worry about.

Roomba Wed 11-Nov-15 22:55:46

DS was about 5 before he could say 'yellow' correctly, it was 'lellow' before that. At 2.5 I wouldn't worry at all. DS2 (3) says 'lellow' too.

Lndnmummy Wed 11-Nov-15 23:19:24

Yup we have lellow and also ds cant say sh sounds either. He is 3. We went to see sean the seap the other week wink. He also says seben instead of seven. I took him to a play group attended by a speach therapist and she said not to worry. If he by the end of reception has made no progress he may need some extra support but no need ar all to worry yet.

Lndnmummy Wed 11-Nov-15 23:20:22

Oh and bicksits for biscuits

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now