Talk

Advanced search

How do I help DD age 7 stand up to sulky friends?

(3 Posts)
Doubletroublemummy2 Tue 10-Nov-15 00:28:14

DD is reasonably social little girl but has tendency to people please. One particular friend takes total advantage of this and if she doesn't get her own way sulks, and if that doesn't work tells tales to the teacher that DD is being mean. So DD tends to give in. Today she came home upset as she had been in trouble because of this friend. If need be I will go and see the teacher but first I'd like to help her deal with it on her own in a way that is assertive but not unkind, anyone have experience of this and/or advice.

Doubletroublemummy2 Tue 10-Nov-15 14:30:00

Anyone have any advice

tobysmum77 Thu 12-Nov-15 20:16:34

I think the first thing is to talk to her about what a friend is and what it is reasonable to expect. This girl doesn't sound like she is a particularly nice friend and I'd start with getting dd to see that. You are almost blaming dd for 'people pleasing' when the other child is out of order.

I had similar stuff with dd recently and it took a while for her to see this. Once she did she faced it head on and started walking off (with friend running after her! wink)

I would also be cross that she got into trouble any teacher really should know that there are two sides to every story, so I would also be having a word on that side.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now