Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

8.5 month old suddenly scared of noises and the car at night...help!!

(6 Posts)
Pam0077 Mon 09-Nov-15 21:12:27

Hi
DS1 is 8.5 months and has started to show real fear and cry/scream when sat in a supermarket trolley, in the car only at night when dark, the hairdryer and laying on public baby changing tables! He never used to bother with any of these things but over the past 2 weeks he will literally shake with fear and scream. As you can imagine this is a worry and making life quite difficult when we are out!! I have tried reassuring him but he is inconsolable. Has anyone else experienced this as did your LO outgrow it? I'm hoping it's a phase (another one!) xx

plonkie Tue 10-Nov-15 10:52:17

Bumping for you!

September60b Tue 10-Nov-15 13:39:47

Hi op. My dd (now 10 months) went through a phase like this at around 7-9 months. She used to cry at the hairdryer, vacuum cleaner, other children crying and if anyone other than me or dh dared look at her. She has got much better within the last couple of weeks. She still hates changing tables when we're out though confused.

Doubletroublemummy2 Tue 10-Nov-15 14:43:06

Pretty sure I remember a phase like this, something to do with realising they are a separate entity from mom so become insecure. I don't think it took long to pass. Personally didn't make a fuss about it, had two going through it at the same time so no spare hands really, but we got through and now, at 7yrs, they are fearless!!

Pam0077 Tue 10-Nov-15 22:31:49

Thanks for the reassurance, I'm hoping in a few weeks it will pass it's just damn hardwork leaving the house at the minute!!! X

Ferguson Thu 12-Nov-15 19:09:14

I always answer this kind of problem, by suggesting that as a baby matures, becomes more aware of 'self' and their environment, things that previously they ignored or were not aware of, start to take on a more 'dangerous' or threatening image in their 'little world'.

Over the years (and you ARE in it for the 'long haul', maybe thirty years or more!) there will be VERY MANY changes that will occur, that are just 'phases' or inexplicable happenings, that you just have to cope with.

As in all things child-related, as much as possible, try to AVOID places and situations that will trigger unhappy reactions, or might tempt unwanted behaviours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now