Talk

Advanced search

when to stop bottle feeding?

(10 Posts)
Jw35 Thu 05-Nov-15 08:03:48

My 10 month old is on 3-4 bottles a day of formula and 3 smallish meals.
I know that some parents stop bottle feeding around a year old but I'm not sure the best approach?

I can cut out at least one bottle now by giving her a snack in the morning as I tried it for 3 days in a row. Then my sister said milk is really important under 18 months? Now I'm confused!

When is it the right time to cut down on bottles? Thanks

PennyHasNoSurname Thu 05-Nov-15 08:09:15

Mine have both had three bottles a day at that age - one on waking, one at bedtime then one at lunchtime (after food).

DS is now 13mo and has the same. Im attempting to get him to take it from a sippy cup but he isnt the most amenable to it!

comeagainforbigfudge Thu 05-Nov-15 08:15:50

I think it's more that you are meant to move then onto sippy cups? The free flow kind. So you're not stopping giving milk, just changing HOW you are giving it?

I may be wrong though.

mrsnec Thu 05-Nov-15 08:20:53

I have a 13 month dd.

3 bottles a day here too. I sporadically try sippy cup with water at meals but she's not brilliant with it.

Do use one of those bottles with sippy cup top and handles but she just still prefers the bottle. I'm not in any rush to change it though.

Jw35 Thu 05-Nov-15 13:24:14

She has a sippy cup! She's brilliant with it and uses it throughout the day for water.
I'm not keen on putting milk in a cup, I'd prefer milk to just be in bottles? I could put ordinary milk in a cup but I don't want to for formula

mrsnec Thu 05-Nov-15 14:06:05

I would carry on doing what you're doing for now then. We're gradually moving dd onto normal milk not formula by mixing them and gradually reducing the formula. So at the moment she has 3oz of follow on milk to 4oz of cows milk. Perhaps when she gets to 1 down the same and when she's on just cows milk then ditch the bottles.

Incidentally our pediatrician said we were doing the right thing for dd using this method. We do morning, afternoon and before bed.

I hadn't really given much thought to when to stop bottles. Her 2 year old cousins still have them.

DownstairsMixUp Thu 05-Nov-15 14:10:19

My 10 month old was on 3 bottles of formula a day. As soon as he turned 1 I changed to cows milk with vitamin d drop (use full fat milk) to twice a day. He still has two bottles of milk at 14 months with the drops, one in the morning and one at night. He is a good eater though with a varied diet, my last son was on more milk for longer as he didn't eat as much. He is a proper chunk and is doing well.

Jw35 Thu 05-Nov-15 14:13:05

Thanks downstairs. I'm going to switch to ordinary milk at 12 months and see what happens.

soundsystem Fri 06-Nov-15 21:23:29

My DD at 10 months had two bottles: morning and night. Now at just turned one she only has one at bedtime and has a sippy cup of cow's milk with breakfast.

skankingpiglet Sun 08-Nov-15 20:00:48

At 10mo DD had 3 bottles too, down to two at 12mo. We also switched her off formula at 12mo by slowly upping one and reducing the other but kept her using bottles as it seemed too much change in one go to ditch them at the same time. We finally switched to a sippy cup a month ago when she was 16mo (she has her morning milk in bed with us, so although she drinks water from an open cup at mealtimes, a cup in bed would be a disaster!). I'm glad we waited as she's now refusing all but a sip of her bedtime milk and will only take 2/3s of her morning milk. Thankfully she eats really well so she's getting all she needs from her diet. We don't want to go back now we've decided to get rid, but it's so annoying.
Milk is really important for it's fat/calorie content and calcium, but these can be found in other foods or dairy products. We give lots of nut butters, avocados, cheese, yoghurt, and green veg.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now