Talk

Advanced search

What do I do, I'd anything, about DS? Super long, sorry

(7 Posts)
Scoobydeedoodah Fri 30-Oct-15 17:44:21

Regular poster who has NC for this as it may out me

I'm really starting to worry about my ds's behaviour and I have no idea what to do. I posted some years back about his nursery recommending he was held back a year however he was assessed by an educational psychologist who didn't feel that deferring a year was the way to go.

He started school and everything seemed fine. Then towards the end of the year we were made aware that he was having "outbursts" in class and had been the whole time. He would cry at the drop of a hat with no warning and no build up, just full on wailing. At the time we put it down to him being a bit younger than the other kids and a few things unsettling him (he had recently stopped contact with his dad, I was pregnant) and we came up with various strategies that seemed to work such as taking a deep breath before getting upset, counting to 10, etc

He's now just turned 6 and is in primary 2. He seemed to lose progress over the summer and we were called in to the school to discuss his behaviour as he'd had a few more outbursts. At the time the teacher we spoke to didn't really seem to know how to address his behaviour and merely kept repeating that it was "outside of the norm" and had to be addressed.

We've just moved to a new area and subsequently a new school. He's been in 3 days this week and has had outbursts of crying on 2 of them. Once because he didn't get a turn during a game the class were playing and the other because he got things wrong. None of the ways we taught him to deal with it work anymore, he either doesn't bother or says he forgets. We had considered making some kind of reward chart for managing to stay calm at school but not sure if that's really the right way to go about it?

Thanks to anyone who's made it this far, this post had ended up seriously long but didn't want to drip feed.

Some of the things thay set him off are;
Not getting a turn at a game
Being told to pack up before he's finished
Getting things wrong
Feeling like he's bad at something

He can also be very touchy and will imagine slights against him where there are none which sets him off too

Scoobydeedoodah Fri 30-Oct-15 17:50:21

Title should say if anything, not I'd anything. Bloody auto correct

Scoobydeedoodah Fri 30-Oct-15 21:04:00

Anybody? I really don't know how to address this at all. Nothing seems to work

Rainuntilseptember Fri 30-Oct-15 21:08:47

Are you "in the system" has your GP referred him to a paediatrician for an assessment? Potential educational psychologist involvement perhaps? I am not "diagnosing" him with anything by the way, I've no idea what support he needs, but I think it would help you a lot to have more info on what the issues might be. I would just go to the GP and explain your concerns.

Scoobydeedoodah Fri 30-Oct-15 21:10:55

If I do go to the go to talk about my concerns do I need to take my ds with me? Or can I talk to the gp without him around?

ChipInTheSugar Fri 30-Oct-15 21:29:16

I'm in a similar situation at the moment. The route we are going is firstly contact with the school nurse who will have a chat with DC and then with me, and then take it from there. School also does a social skills group - 10-15mins once a week, playing games, taking turns etc.

Rainuntilseptember Fri 30-Oct-15 21:52:53

You could ask him to sit in the waiting room, explain concerns to GP, then he/she could ask him to come in if necessary. Or go alone to talk but knowing you might have to have a further appointment to go to together. You are certainly justified in wanting to talk through concerns without your do hearing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now