Talk

Advanced search

Toddler really delicate about nursery uniform.

(20 Posts)
CWard76 Thu 29-Oct-15 14:55:07

I have a 3 year old boy who has recently begun to cry and get upset when I'm dressing him in his nursery uniform. He says he looks stupid and he hates it. He gets really quite animated about his appearence. He used to be ok at nursery but now he cries when I take him in. The uniform has a yellow jumper so I used to think it was just a colour thing... But lately he's really getting upset if I even mention the uniform! Is this just a 'style' phase or could it be him associating this with something he's not happy with at the nursery?

Barbie1 Thu 29-Oct-15 15:05:00

It's a three year old boy thing...my son is the same. Hates his uniform, only likes Sunday's as its PE day and they wear sports kit all day.

This too shall pass wink

BertrandRussell Thu 29-Oct-15 15:08:15

Not helpful, I knew- but I get upset at the thought of a nursery uniform.

Why not just not wear it?

CWard76 Thu 29-Oct-15 15:13:35

I hope it's a phase thing! I wouldn't be so concerned over the subject but he's starting to punch when he's getting agitated about it. I was thinking he was getting bullied over it for some reason. I'm just being too over protective, I think.
As for not wearing it? Well, them's the rules!

BertrandRussell Thu 29-Oct-15 15:15:53

Rules? It's nursery. You're paying. Are they going to expel him?

CWard76 Thu 29-Oct-15 15:21:37

Ha ha! I see what you mean. But I don't want to make a fuss over nothing and make him stand out if it's just a grumpy clothing phase.

Barbie1 Thu 29-Oct-15 15:35:12

We have to rugby tackle him to the floor and get it on him grin

Actually he says it's really uncomfortable but he is the same with his non uniform clothes now and won't wear anything with a button. Has to be elastic waist bands. hmm

Ps I'm in Middle East hence the school on Sunday. I honestly didn't get my days mixed up...

CarolineWard76 Thu 29-Oct-15 15:38:09

I was wondering about the Sunday thing! And I know what you mean about the rugby tackling. It's like trying to get him in a straight jacket. I never had this with my daughter!

Gileswithachainsaw Thu 29-Oct-15 15:38:52

unifirm at nursery? seriously?

what's wrong with comfy clothes he's chosen from a selection of suitable items. joggers and a t shirt etc.

why on earth are they enforcing uniform on a 3 yr old confused

CarolineWard76 Thu 29-Oct-15 15:45:57

Well, it's just the jumper, really. I don't mind it. It's all part of the school he'll be attending later. It's not strictly enforced, but that's not the point of my question. I was just wondering if him getting ratty with clothing associated with the nursery meant that something was up at nursery.

Gileswithachainsaw Thu 29-Oct-15 15:51:56

my bet is it's uncomfortable in some way. or he hates sleeves or finds it too hot. maybe he worries he won't find it if he takes it off so gets too hot leaving it on.

the elasticated cuffs can be annoying especially when they get damp after handwashing. maybe where it goes over another layer it's a bit restrictive (like when you put a coat on over a jumper and it pulls under the arms)

dd would always take her jumpers off at nursery and sometimes even her shies and socks. it was a comfort/freedom of movement thing

CarolineWard76 Thu 29-Oct-15 15:57:56

I hope it's just an uncomfortable thing, Giles (can I call you that?). I think I may just be over thinking it because DD never had that problem. But she sticks up for herself. DS is a bit quieter and holds things in, so I just wondered why the sudden change in attitude.

[names removed by MNHQ]

Etak15 Thu 29-Oct-15 16:02:04

My dd for the first year of school refused to wear her cardigan and her coat together she would wear one or the other and when she was in nursery she had a few days sometimes where she didn't want to wear uniform so she went In normal clothes, I don't think nursery minds. She's still a bit awkward with clothes will never wear what I've got out for her on non school days, so I just tell her to choose something else if she doesn't like it and stop pulling that miserable face!

Gileswithachainsaw Thu 29-Oct-15 16:09:08

if it's not compulsory just let him pick clothes he is comfy in and see what happens them.

if he still kicks off about going to nursery you can then rule it out and start looking at what is happening at nursery that could be upsetting him.
flowers

Gileswithachainsaw Thu 29-Oct-15 16:13:02

comfort and ease of movement should be the focus when picking clothes for nursery. Dd lived in joggers and t shirts. easy to pull up and down for the toilet and I always put a zip up jumper on her that she could easily undo and go put in her bag.

it could even be he's worried he will get it dirty . which is where old pre stained clothing comes in handy cos then it's not a worry smile

I hope it's easily resolved flowers

CarolineWard76 Thu 29-Oct-15 16:34:23

Thanks for all your advice. Can I ask, what's dd? I'm fairly new on here and i'm not up with the lingo....

Gileswithachainsaw Thu 29-Oct-15 16:39:08

Dd stands for darling (or dear) daughter.
ds is son

smile

Flingingmelon Thu 29-Oct-15 16:41:51

Can you just stick it on at the door? Then when he pulls it off again it's his key workers problem - you've towed the line as best you can smile

IguanaTail Thu 29-Oct-15 16:46:30

Caroline - don't use your kids' names here.
DS - dear son. Dd - dear daughter.

CarolineWard76 Fri 30-Oct-15 09:03:52

Thanks IguanaTail. I'll not use them from now on!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now