Talk

Advanced search

When did your LO master thumb/finger sucking?

(17 Posts)
Treesandbees Wed 28-Oct-15 05:28:30

My DD is 3mo. She's been trying to suck her thumb since birth but can't manage it yet. We've tried giving her a dummy which she is only interested in when really tired but we spend most of the night putting it back in for her as she knocks it out trying to such her thumb. She's also very noisy trying to do it so despite her not feeding much in the night were not getting much sleep!! We've tried feeding her in case it's feeding queues but she doesn't want the bottle until about 5am. Any tips???

kinkytoes Wed 28-Oct-15 05:47:09

My ds never did thankfully. It's not a good habit to get into. Obviously he would chew on his fist while teething but I never encouraged it.

0verNow Wed 28-Oct-15 05:48:07

None of my three ever did. Like kinkytoes, I'm pleased that they didn't!

Onsera3 Wed 28-Oct-15 05:53:05

I think 7 weeks for DS. DD at 4 weeks has got fist in there but not thumb yet.

Bolshybookworm Wed 28-Oct-15 06:06:31

Some kids are born thumb suckers, I think! My eldest DD started sucking her thumb at about4-6 months. Like your DC she was constantly trying to suck fingers/thumb and wouldn't take a dummy. Short of binding her hands to her body, there is nothing we could have done to stop her. My advice is to buy some foam ear plugs! She is 4 now and gradually dropping the habit (she only sucks it when very tired now). I'm not particularly worried about it TBH.

Interestingly, she was one of those toddlers that puts EVERYTHING in their mouth, right up until she was about 3, even down to licking windows. I wonder if the two go hand in hand and it's a sensory thing?

sleeplessinmybedroom Wed 28-Oct-15 07:06:07

My 8 week old is trying desperately to suck her thumb but she can't quote manage it for long. She does have a dummy but can't keep it in for long either, she spits it out continually. Last night she was trying to suck her thumb and the noise was so loud.

randomsabreuse Wed 28-Oct-15 07:08:17

About 2 days. Noisy slurping sounds. But quieter than crying!

Treesandbees Wed 28-Oct-15 08:03:23

I appreciate its not a great habit but almost impossible to stop if they won't take a dummy?! My DS who is 2yo was a dummy fiend and I have the issue of trying to wean it off him a some point (he has it for sleep only). But at least if she sucks her thumb were not putting the dummy in all night for her for months (like with DS)!

kinkytoes Wed 28-Oct-15 08:43:21

Can she grasp yet? How about giving her a teething ring instead?

I weaned my ds off his dummy before he was 2. It wasn't pretty but at least it was possible, unlike with a thumb.

Bolshybookworm Wed 28-Oct-15 08:59:13

Unless you tape the teething ring to their hand, they'll drop it in favour of finger/thumb ime. You can't suck on a teething ring. A comforter works better but if they really want their thumb there's not much you can do!

0verNow Thu 29-Oct-15 04:37:30

I don't agree that it's inevitable that they suck their thumbs if they won't take dummies - none of my three were interested in thumbs or dummies.

ceeveebee Thu 29-Oct-15 06:18:54

Neither of mine had dummies or sucked thumbs. DD did used to slurp on her fist but it didn't last long. I wouldn't encourage it tbh, not a great habit. Does she sleep ok?

LovelyFriend Thu 29-Oct-15 07:02:22

My 2 didn't suck thumbs fingers or dummies either. It's not a prerequisite for babies.

Bolshybookworm Thu 29-Oct-15 10:02:23

I have one DD who does and one who doesn't. It's definitely not prerequisite, but some children seem to determinedly seek out their thumbs. For dd1 this seemed to be an innate need. When they're like this, it's really quite hard to stop them.

Dd2, on the other hand, has never had a dummy or sucked her thumb. She just wasn't interested in either.

BreeVDKamp Thu 29-Oct-15 10:04:33

Mine's 5 months and still trying! I don't mind if he's a thumb sucker. You can't lose a thumb! smile

RedZeppelin Thu 29-Oct-15 15:54:44

DD found her thumb at about 6 weeks. She's just turned 7 and we've finally succeeded in stopping the habit with some of that nasty tasting anti-nail-biting stuff.

Treesandbees Thu 29-Oct-15 20:28:44

I agree that it isn't a prerequisite for all children but my 2 seem to be very 'sucky' babies. My DS has had a dummy since 2 weeks old and still has it for sleep at 2yo. He had reflux as a baby and it was the only thing that gave him any comfort. My DD (who I'm posting about) seems equally 'sucky' just doesn't want the dummy as much as he did but spends the whole time sucking her fist but gets really upset when it's not giving her 'comfort'. She has potential to be a great sleeper (anything is good compared to my DS!) and only has 1 feed in the night but spends a lot of the time sucking her fists and subsequently gets upset. We're spending a lot of the night putting the dummy in to try and stop get getting worked up. So I guess you could say we are 'encouraging' it but it's a lesser of 2 evils as she wants to suck something!! Anyone got any useful advice??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now