Talk

Advanced search

should 8 mo be able to sit unaided by now?

(10 Posts)
ffffffedup Tue 27-Oct-15 15:02:19

Exactly that really my 8 mo can't sit unaided yet, he either falls forward or throws himself back to lie down. He goes in his jumperoo and in the highchair but he often slumps to the side in the highchair. I've been sitting him between my legs to try and encourage him but I wonder if I'll be hurting or straining his back by trying to encourage him if he's not ready. I've no other issues with the rest of his development although he only started to roll over about a month ago

ButtonMoon88 Tue 27-Oct-15 15:04:44

Someone may be along with more useful advice but I wouldn't worry about sitting up until at least 9months, at which point you should get a call/letter from GP about the 9month check anyway.
Have you tried using a bumbo?

zzzzz Tue 27-Oct-15 15:09:33

No idea of the official line but if he is alert and growing and sitting is the only concern then I wouldn't worry.

FeelsLikeHome123 Tue 27-Oct-15 15:13:20

Our dd is 7 months and starting to sit up with a some aid such as a cushion. You could try doing some tummy time with him to strengthen the muscles in his neck and back.

penny13610 Tue 27-Oct-15 15:14:13

Two of mine crawled, knelt and walked before they could balance on their backsides.
If he is good and wiggly he's probably fine. If you keep feeling worried, ask a health visitor.

ffffffedup Tue 27-Oct-15 15:16:22

He does get plenty of tummy time as he likes to roll all around the room. He's very alert and is a pleasant smiley baby.

purpleme12 Tue 27-Oct-15 19:55:23

At 10 months if they're still not sitting and you're still worried then speak to someone. My baby didn't sit til a week before she became 10 months. There's a big range of normal

stareatthetvscreen Tue 27-Oct-15 20:05:18

another one here whose baby crawled before sitting

i think she just had a bony backside

ffffffedup Tue 27-Oct-15 20:11:45

stare what age did your baby crawl? He's rolling a lot and confident on his stomach kicking his legs alot he just doesn't seem to have the back strength to pull himself up to crawl. He's only on the 25th centile line I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not

stareatthetvscreen Tue 27-Oct-15 20:27:58

yy dd was tiny - at times off the centiles for weight

she crawled at about 9/10 months and walked at 12 months

after that she was never still smile still isn't even at 18 years old

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: