Talk

Advanced search

Not listening

(5 Posts)
HowManyMoreTimes Mon 26-Oct-15 08:59:52

DD is almost 3, and has always been a very busy, demanding active child. She's wilful, determined, fiercely independent and extremely feisty. She's also loving, articulate and funny. So far, so exhausting good.

She wants to do everything herself, and gets furious and upset if anything is done for her. One example is getting into her car seat, she has to climb in and do it up and tighten the straps herself. Obviously, the condition of this independence is that the adult has to check it! If we are in a hurry and she's messing around, after a warning I take over and clip her in. The result is screaming for the duration of the journey. (See determination above [;)] )

So far, so 2 year old.

What I'm getting concerned about, is that when I try to talk to her, explain why we need to do something/go somewhere/do something in a particular way, she just keeps talking over me. I look directly at her, wait for her to finish, don't wait for her to finish...she just doesn't want to hear it.

As she is very different from DD1, who wasn't like this in any way, I'm wondering if this is common among this age group or if I should maybe be thinking along the special needs route.

Reading back, that sounds a bit melodramatic, for what may just be normal toddlerhood, but I have a friend who has a DD with SN and I'm aware that being aware and intervening early can make a massive difference.

Please feel free to hand me a grip wink

HowManyMoreTimes Mon 26-Oct-15 13:19:11

Bump

MamaMoose1 Mon 26-Oct-15 21:35:53

Sounds very normal to me. Sounds like she just wants more independence, she sounds similar to my 4 year old son, when he was that that age.

HowManyMoreTimes Tue 27-Oct-15 22:06:41

Thanks Mama, I was hoping I was overreacting, but most of the time it's so hard to get her to look at me at all if I'm trying to explain something or enforce rules, and she's so different to DD1 (which is lovely!) I think my worries started to run away with me.

I'll take a chill pill and remember to breathe wink

MamaMoose1 Wed 28-Oct-15 20:43:12

If you have any more concerns as she gets older, it's worth discussing with your health visitor or family doctor smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now