Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

5yr DD tired and won't focus

(12 Posts)
MadCatH Sat 24-Oct-15 17:22:09

Hi everyone. The im new here but really need to see if I can get some answers. We went to my 5yr old dd's parents evening last week and was told she will not focus on anything. She doesn't finish her work and is often in her own little world. One thing I think might be the cause is her tiredness which seems constant. Thing is, she goes to bed at 7 every night and sleeps soundly until 7/7:30 in the morning. She eats really well, better than most kids her age. I have taken her doctors and she's had some blood tests I'm waiting for the results for. If they come back clear then I have no idea what's wrong. Could it be behavioural? The teacher seemed to imply there was something 'wrong' with her. He's a good girl as a whole and bright as a button. Had anyone else experienced anything similar?

PrincessHairyMclary Sat 24-Oct-15 17:26:20

My DDs also a daydreamer, , providing the tests come back clear I wouldn't worry too much, unless she is very lethargic.

What is she like at home? Is it a specific time of day she seems tired .
It is possible that gluten /wheat can make people seem tired so if it's in the morning after toast or after having a sandwich or something I'd look at what she is eating.

MadCatH Sat 24-Oct-15 17:32:15

Hello, thanks for your message. She does always seem tired. She doesn't nod off or nap (if she does she won't go to bed!) So I'm sure she gets enough sleep. You may be right about what she eats. If the tests come back clear, ill ask to see a nutritionist or something. Thank you!

BlueChampagne Sat 24-Oct-15 22:42:29

Is this new? If so, put it down to nearly half term tiredness. If she's been like this all term, and isn't usually, it would bear further investigation. Have her eyes been tested recently?

ScouseQueen Sat 24-Oct-15 22:47:49

Iron being low comes to mind. I would guess that's one of the things that's been tested for so chase that result. If so they'll prescribe iron supplements.

slkk Sat 24-Oct-15 23:01:49

Ds is nearly 5 and has been going to bed at around 6 or 6:15 since starting school as he really needs 13 hours. Some kids just need a lot of sleep I guess. If tests come back ok could you try putting her to bed a bit earlier?

slkk Sat 24-Oct-15 23:03:16

And does she snore? Sometimes sleep apnoeia can disturb quality of sleep. Ds had tonsils and adenoids removed for this (used to need 14 hours.....)

Goldmandra Sat 24-Oct-15 23:20:27

Will not focus or can not focus? I hope the teacher said the latter.

There could be all sorts of reasons why she is finding it hard to focus. What has the teacher tried to help her? A quieter environment? Space between her and the other pupils? Freedom to move around in between tasks? Fiddle toys?

MadCatH Sun 25-Oct-15 07:09:19

Hello. The teacher implied that she cannot focus. She gives her an egg timer which I think helps a bit. I'm convinced the tiredness has something to do with it but could be wrong. She's definitely more tired than her friends. The blood tests are for a number of things, including anaemia, coeliac, diabetes and others I think. She has had her eyes tested and they were fine so its not that. She's always been like this. In foundation I had to take in a snack for her to have in the afternoon to keep her going! Guess it could be related to that. She's always been above the 90th centile although she is finally starting to level out a bit. Thanks for all your help ladies. I'll keep you updated x

Choughed Sun 25-Oct-15 07:27:53

I've banned screen time Monday to Friday in my house and it's made a big difference to how DD is concentrating in school. She is also sleeping better and is less grouchy.

BlueChampagne Sun 25-Oct-15 22:10:03

Wow Choughed how did you manage that?

blobbityblob Fri 30-Oct-15 16:46:19

My dd couldn't/wouldn't focus enough age 5. Just had a racing mind, v imaginative, always off on a tangent. It gradually came with time.

I was worried because teachers kept mentioning it. Then one year I asked her teacher, should I be having her assessed, is there something really wrong here? Oh no she said, there are about 8 in the class like that. We're only telling you so that you can encourage her to focus at home.

So things like board games where she's got to take a turn, puzzles (mine would never finish a puzzle), trying to get to the end of a craft project (lots of half finished ones round the house) - that sort of thing.

Mostly mine managed to listen to enough of the instructions to manage the work in year 1/2 but was often asked to stay behind at playtime to finish. By about year 3, it wasn't a problem any more. She's doing really well but I watch her swimming lessons sometmes and I can tell she's away with the fairies. Everyone else is doing a length of backstroke and she's not. Somehow she does fine academically though.

I hope I've given you some reassurance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now