Talk

Advanced search

Hide and seek

(14 Posts)
Keels77 Sun 18-Oct-15 19:52:53

Hi. I was just wondering what age a child learns to play hide and seek? A rough guide? smile. Tyvm

BertieBotts Sun 18-Oct-15 19:54:37

About 4 I think. They don't really understand it before then.

winchester1 Sun 18-Oct-15 19:59:19

DS learnt hiding so we could search for him at about one yr. Obv he didn't understand counting. But he went to other rooms and hid behind furniture etc. I think he'd seen others do it at nursery as I didn't teach him it.

BertrandRussell Sun 18-Oct-15 20:00:39

My ds was about three I think when she and I were at home just the two of us and she said "let's play hide and seek, mummy. Come on, we'll hide together"

HisBowtieIsReallyACamera Sun 18-Oct-15 20:11:16

My DS1 is nearly 3 - I think he has known about hide and seek for about a year but only just recently got keen on playing it. He can count to ten but he prefers to be the hider rather than the seeker. He's very impatient so if I don't find him in about 30 seconds he shouts out to say where he is!

SomedayMyPrinceWillCome Sun 18-Oct-15 20:14:32

My son got it at about 2.5

HJBeans Sun 18-Oct-15 20:20:46

My 2 year old got it for the most part from watching an older playmate play with her mum. He went to where she had counted, did the counting, than came out searching.

But it was hilariously reminiscent of the episode of In The Night Garden where Upsy Daisy is hiding in plain sight by being partially obscured by a tree. He'll look right at you and not 'find' you got the longest time. He's not clear on when he's visible or not either, but enjoys 'hiding' anyway.

I've actually wondered if it's dangerous for us to play this with him before he really understands the rules, in case he hides a bit more effectively in a public place. But while 'hiding' means putting his coat over his head and standing in a corner, I reckon we're ok.

Keels77 Sun 18-Oct-15 20:20:48

Thank you everyone. My daughter is almost 14 months. Her dad was hiding from her and she was looking for him. Then she hid herself which I didn't expect. I actually panicked because I couldn't find her for a few seconds. She was very hidden. ??. I just wondered if this is a development milestone..... We will introduce counting. ??

Keels77 Sun 18-Oct-15 20:22:04

Ahhhh. Love that they think u can't see them if they put a blanket over their head. Cute

Keels77 Sun 18-Oct-15 20:24:07

I'm new to Mumsnet. Sorry... What does DS mean? DS1? Ty

BertieBotts Sun 18-Oct-15 20:41:39

DS = dear son, then DS 1/2/3 is oldest son, second oldest son etc smile

Keels77 Sun 18-Oct-15 20:53:36

Thank you bertiebotts

HisBowtieIsReallyACamera Mon 19-Oct-15 07:42:42

DS2 (or the poor neglected second son as we like to call him) will "hide" (i.e. put a blanket on his head or pull curtain in front of him) and if you say "where's your brother?" he will crawl off in the direction of DS1's hiding place. He's a year old. But obviously not understanding the concept of hide and seek properly, just joining in when he can!

FartemisOwl Mon 19-Oct-15 07:48:18

Mine is 2.4 and has been doing it for about a month or so, but they all do things at different times.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now