Talk

Advanced search

3 year old bottomless pit

(11 Posts)
slightlyconfused85 Thu 15-Oct-15 17:01:09

My dd is 2.11. She seems to be eating an awful lot at the moment and just wondering if it's normal?! Today she had
Breakfast- 2 weetabix and a slice of wholemeal toast with a glass of milk.
Snack- small cheese muffin
Lunch- cheese and ham sandwiches with two pieces of bread, cucumber and a childs sizes yeo valley yoghurt.
Snack- banana
Dinner- fish pie and veg. She asked for more and essentially had the same size again as she was saying she was hungry. Then a small bowl of blueberries.

She is now saying she is hungry, as she has been all day and all week really. She's always been quite a good eater but she is going on all the time. I'm sick of hearing 'I'm hungry mummy!' Any other 3 year olds?

Andcake Thu 15-Oct-15 20:58:02

I think my ds 3.1 eats more than ds everyday and eats more than your daughter. Often 2 weetabix and a banana for breakfast!

VenusRising Thu 15-Oct-15 21:06:32

She's hungry, so feed her.
Fwiw my DCs as toddlers ate (and still eat) a lot more than me some days. Water only to drink, and no processed carbs or sugar. Full fat everything.

I topped them up with Greek style yoghurt from MnS if they were still hungry after a meal. No sugar added and full fat. They'd have about 100g each.

Snacks were oat cakes hummus and carrots, and apple slices or frozen grapes with almonds.
It's never ending but they are and were then very tall for their ages, and they still eat and eat and look like whippets.

Full fat Greek style yoghurt did the trick though. Good for the digestion too as it has all the bifidus bacteria in it.

Maybe give it a go?

slightlyconfused85 Thu 15-Oct-15 21:11:52

Thanks Venus- I am feeding her, I'm just surprised at what she can pack away and I often read here that portion sizes for children are too big these days! She is indeed very tall- she was off the chart for height about 6 months ago.
I will definitely try the full fat greek yoghurt to fill her up- thanks for the tip.
I never thought my 3 year old dd woyld regularly out-eat me!

ApplesTheHare Thu 15-Oct-15 21:20:15

I wouldn't worry. My 13-month-old eats a what sounds lile a very similar amount and I was concerned until I found out she'd lost nearly 1kg in the past couple of months. They burn so much energy running around all day.

VenusRising Fri 16-Oct-15 01:14:28

Yes, just keep filling her up.
Mine are also very tall, off the boy's scale including dd.

They stop eating when they're full. Don't have any crappy, sugary food in the house at all. Offer nutritious snacks and wholesome, varied meals with lots of tastes.

At 8 months my dd for eg was eating a kilo of food a day. 10X 100g pots of puréed food I had cooked and blended. I was fearful of an exploding baby/ toddler, but she turned her head away from the little spoon when she'd had enough, so I knew she was hungry and was confident they know what they want themselves.

They do burn it off, mind and body are very active at this age, so keep shovelling it in grin

LeaLeander Fri 16-Oct-15 01:46:36

Sounds healthy and happy!

Maybe more protein, OP? Seems like a lot of carbs in the current plan. Just a thought.

slightlyconfused85 Fri 16-Oct-15 06:57:14

The only Place I think I could get more protein Into her is breakfast. Unfortunately she goes absolutely Batshit if she doesn't get weetabix and it's one of life's little battles I can't face, seeing as weetabix aren't a bad breakfast! Every other meal is protein and if she has two anacks on a hungry day I go for one banana and one cheese/yoghurt based.

rugbychick Fri 16-Oct-15 07:23:41

I wish my 3.6 year old ate that amount! She's very active and seems to survive on fresh air some days.

skankingpiglet Fri 16-Oct-15 21:51:00

I have a 16mo DD who regularly eats around the same as yours. I put her in the bath some nights after dinner and she looks like she's 9 months gone with a food baby! She's not especially tall (60th percentile) but very slim and spindly excluding the belly! She's a little over 25th percentile for weight. As a PP, there are days she eats more than me. I figure it's because she never stops moving when awake. I'm not worried about her, just our food bill!
I try to feed her avocado, nuts (not whole obvs) and seeds to fill her up and keep her going. She loves her almond butter on toast so much she rejects any other topping, even jam (weirdo). Might be worth a shot?

poocatcherchampion Fri 16-Oct-15 21:55:24

My 3 yo is the same currently. I assume she is growing. I love it tbh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now