Talk

Advanced search

Six month old doesn't want to sit with me

(16 Posts)
Pam0077 Sun 06-Sep-15 21:39:43

Hi
I'm a ftm of DS aged 6 months, he had severe colic and reflux and has always been a squirmy baby who screamed a lot. Now at 6 months he is largely a cheery little boy, very active always moving and dying to crawl! This sounds really needy on my part but I feel like I have missed out on the newborn cuddle stage due to DS screaming for hours on end, and now he is over colic is a very lively baby who doesn't seem to want to be held or cuddled. He makes great eye contact and smiles lots, but I guess I just feel I am still missing that cuddling my baby stage which I never seem to have had. He never seems to want his mum, will this change as he gets a little older and more mobile? I just want my baby to want his mummy and not squirm to get away. I know this is me being emotional but people have also commented on it. Thanks xxz

poocatcherchampion Sun 06-Sep-15 21:42:18

My 2 year old rarely offers cuddles unless you wake her from a nap grin

My 3 yo is cuddleicious. Some are more cuddley than others.

All lovely in their own ways.
Dd2 loves it when I tell her I love her though

Lweji Sun 06-Sep-15 21:45:53

will this change as he gets a little older and more mobile?

I already have a mental image of you chasing him when he starts to walk. grin

He may never be cuddly. Some children just aren't.

MisForMumNotMaid Sun 06-Sep-15 21:46:50

'What ever it is its a phase'.

Good, bad, indifferent.

Take it that your son is confident and knows you're there for him when he needs you. Its a wonderful gift to have given him.

I'm a mum of three. They've all been really different. My youngest, now four, didn't walk confidently till 3.5., not at all till 2.5. I look at toddlers with a little sadness and think i missed that phase out. I wouldn't change her for the world though.

People comment on all sorts, we home in on the things that worry us. Enjoy the cheery boy bit.

Pam0077 Sun 06-Sep-15 21:51:00

Thanks for your comments, think it's other people's views that get to me too, plus I love him to pieces. Yes I'm likely to be chasing him for a cuddle Lweji when he's older!!! Ha ha x

Ferguson Sun 06-Sep-15 23:08:08

Do you play games on the floor with him? Sharing toys or teddies, rolling balls around, or pull-along toys (he can't walk, but maybe he can pull on a string to make things move.)

Get down to his level, and play. Or play 'hiding games' in bed, pretending you have lost him and don't know where he is. Physical contact might come from that, and then cuddles.

noiwontstoptalking Sun 06-Sep-15 23:15:26

My son has always been incredibly active, even now he's rarely still (wriggly even in sleep! grin). However he has got increasingly cuddly with age.

He wasn't much interested as a toddler but now runs up at random moments to 'top up' his Mummy cuddles.

He might get their yet Op

feistyfiend Sun 06-Sep-15 23:17:50

My DD1 was like this. She could commando crawl from 6 months and all she wanted to do was explore. We always knew when she was ill because that's the only time she would sit and be cuddled. She is now 7 and is the soppiest, cuddliest child you could ever meet!

noiwontstoptalking Sun 06-Sep-15 23:22:06

^^ blush there oh the shame

helloelo Mon 07-Sep-15 00:25:44

DS went through a phase like that around the same age. Wouldn't BF, wouldn't cuddle, wouldn't sit on my lap. Too many things to do, see, explore. Now 8 months old, he has started with the cuddles. Proper ones like I'm the only thing in the world. He looks at me and studies my face like I'm the best thing in the world.... for 3 minutes... then he climbs over me and he goes crawling somewhere, leaving me completely speechless with love.

Lj8893 Mon 07-Sep-15 00:31:08

Dd was the same, she was never a cuddly baby. Now at nearly 2, she is always giving us cuddles and kisses!

BackforGood Mon 07-Sep-15 00:37:47

My ds was never interested in sitting on anyone's lap, or even sitting anywhere - too much of a livewire.
He's 19 now and will engulf me in a bearhug when either he wants one, or I do smile
I agree with the poster suggesting lots of physical play. smile

Pam0077 Mon 07-Sep-15 09:28:43

Think I will just have to wait til he gets a little older then perhaps, although we do lots of play and he loves people so I suppose that's positive.

Mulligrubs Mon 07-Sep-15 09:32:59

My son was exactly like this! Sociable, loves everyone, so active but wouldn't sit with me or anyone for long. It got worse as he started walking at 11/12 months. But he is now 22 months and will come up to me/DH for a cuddle or a kiss, he will sit and snuggle for 5 minutes but then he is off again. I think they're just so active and everything is so exciting up that they just want to be on the go. And also they know that mummy is there, mummy is always there so they aren't fussed about cuddles etc as they know we will always be nearby while they explore.

Pam0077 Mon 07-Sep-15 09:38:49

You're right he just wriggles to be put down so he can roll and roll! I know it's my needs here and not his! Ha. Everyone says oh he so lively, squirmy and boisterous and that drives me mad.

AmyLouKin Mon 07-Sep-15 09:40:20

My nephew was never particularly cuddly (unless ill and then he was usually drooling too! Nice! Hehe) but my niece loves her cuddles! I guess they are just all different. Doesn't mean they love you any less! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now