Talk

Advanced search

Daughter Self Esteem Issues

(2 Posts)
jamandsponge Mon 17-Aug-15 13:54:34

This has actually been going on for about a year now since my first (and only) daughter started school. She's always been quite emotional, but since starting school, whenever she finds herself 'failing' something, she starts to sob and declares that she's terrible at everything. She had one day when a teacher told her that she needed to improve her slightly messy writing and her response when she got home was to sob that she wasn't good at anything. So a criticism of her writing led to her thinking she was bad at reading, writing, sport, she even cried that she didn't dress as well as the other children. The school hasn't been very helpful (indeed even suggested that these crying fits were disruptive rather than offering any suggestions or advice) and I'm at the end of my tether. Does anyone else have this or can suggest any resources or books?

RosyPippin2411 Mon 17-Aug-15 20:40:15

Hi Jamandsponge - sounds v familiar - try the Joy Berry books (maybe Let's talk about feeling inferior). Found a few of them quite useful for different things. US author so some of the language is different but I found these books a good starting point to have a discussion

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now