Talk

Advanced search

If she likes jigsaws what else?

(6 Posts)
slightlyconfused85 Sun 16-Aug-15 16:11:29

Dd 2.9 is really very obsessed with jigsaw puzzles- she's very good can do big ones unaided. Trouble is she (we) spend hours a day on these and nothing else when we are home. We are home more than usual as I have 1 month old ds and I'm slowly going out of my mind with the repetition! She will entertain a bit of duplo - we have the cafe and a mixed box of bricks. What else might she like doing?? Whereas I'm naturally delighted that she loves something I'd love a little more cariety at home!

blibblibs Sun 16-Aug-15 16:16:48

Maybe mosaic art

www.theworks.co.uk/p/craft-activities-for-kids/sticky-mosaics-ladybugs-and-friends/622222063757?CAWELAID=720011340001924437&CAGPSPN=pla&gclid=CMnQyNTyrccCFUXItAoduSYNcw

addictedtosugar Sun 16-Aug-15 16:41:50

Argh, just lost a reply....
DS2 was a jigsaw fiend.
He also liked memory puzzle games (ravensburger do variations), scissors, and colouring his own jigsaws.
moasics were popular when he was a little older.

I can't find on line, but we had some lovely wooden shapes that could be made into loads of pictures, so maybe fuzzy felts or some sort of preschooler tessellation pack.

The gears thing was v popular, as are still magnets

LIZS Sun 16-Aug-15 16:51:50

http://www.elc.co.uk/Play-Buttons/137250,default,pd.html

Threading games such as this, also cotton reels. Hama beads ( you can get a larger size for preschoolers) and hammer/nail shapes when a little older.

sunnydayinmay Sun 16-Aug-15 22:23:52

DS2 loves jigsaws. Is it the spotting pieces that she likes?

DS moved onto lego, books with spotting games (Where's Wally etc), stacking games (Prickly Hedgehogs etc), and eventually wordsearches, sudoku and then chess.

Ferguson Sun 16-Aug-15 22:42:07

Jigsaw puzzles and other 'shape sorting' activities, threading large beads on laces, are valuable, as are most of the others mentioned by PPs, as they build concentration and are pre-reading skills.

Let her make her OWN puzzles! Help her to Pritt-stick magazine or junk mail pictures, onto thin card (cereal boxes) and with child-safe scissors, cut it into as many pieces as she chooses.

For a variation on bought puzzles, turn the pieces over onto the reverse (plain) side and see if she can manage to do any! Clue: first find corner and outside edge pieces.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now