Talk

Advanced search

Help with fussy eater please!

(3 Posts)
IWillOnlyEatBeans Sat 15-Aug-15 09:02:31

DS2 (2.8) is becoming a bit of a fussy eater. He is absolutely fine with food he is familiar with, but anything new is met with horror and a very firm 'I DON'T LIKE THAT'.

DS1 (5) is great with food and never really had a fussy stage, so I am not sure how best to deal with it.

So far mealtimes have been going a bit like this:
I put the new food on his plate (alongside stuff he is familiar with).
He ignores it, eats everything else, then declares he is finished (this is progress in itself - a month or so ago he would scream if he even saw the food on his plate).
I insist that he tries two mouthfuls of it, making it clear he doesn't have to eat it all.
He eventually eats two tiny mouthfuls.
We make a big fuss and tell him how clever he is.

And repeat next time.

Is this right?? Or should I be doing something different? Should I be insisting that he tries it or just putting it on his plate and not commenting further?

I want to encourage him to try new things but don't want mealtimes to become a battle.

Thanks!

IWillOnlyEatBeans Sat 15-Aug-15 13:39:00

Anyone?

cantmakecarrotcake Sat 15-Aug-15 21:24:23

Does he respond well to the big fuss after he's had his 2 mouthfuls? If yes, then carry on as you are - have any of the new foods been accepted fully from doing this?

This is a notoriously picky age and I might be inclined to keep serving it but let him choose whether to eat it or not.

I say this from my perspective of having a dd who is better left to get on with it by herself - she doesn't like a fuss made of her. I think it depends on the nature of your ds and how important it is to you that he eats the new food.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now