Talk

Advanced search

10 month old with terrible temper

(16 Posts)
Steph2468 Wed 12-Aug-15 17:33:54

Hi all! I have a 10 month old boy & this past week or so he has found his temper! He screams & kick, throws himself, thrashes his head, cries until he chokes himself! I have tried everything, from leaving the room to trying to comfort him & nothing works!! I'm at my wits end, I just don't know what to do anymore!! Can somebody please give me advise or tips on how to handle him when he's like this?

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 12-Aug-15 17:36:19

At that age they don't really have a temper tbh. Is he in pain, ear infection?

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 12-Aug-15 17:37:04

Thrashing his head would have me down the doctor's ASAP!

BollockyBollocks Wed 12-Aug-15 17:41:16

Don't have a temper at 10mo? hmm Ok then.

Op, my dd can be the same. Throws herself backwards if frustrated, screams for her own way. At the moment I am calmly removing her from the situation or ignoring if safe to leave. It should pass. Hopefully!
They're mad at this age - want to do more and to communicate but can't. It must be hard for them.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 12-Aug-15 17:48:05

Crying through frustration or because their needs aren't being met isn't temper it's just how babies communicate their feelings.

Now a 13 yr old waking in a bad mood and stomping around all day for no good reason, that's bad tempered wink

whereshouldibuybee Wed 12-Aug-15 17:51:09

I beg to differ that babies don't have tempers! My little sister had a temper at 10 months and still has one now, 20 years later grin

That being said, OP, it would be worth your taking him to the GP to check him out. It is possible he's in pain.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 12-Aug-15 17:52:11

Wheresgrin

ShipShapeAhoy Wed 12-Aug-15 17:52:36

My dd certainly has a temper that is nothing to do with needs not being met!

Steph2468 Wed 12-Aug-15 17:55:12

No this is definitely temper, I've had his ears checked and they are all clear. Obviously at the start I thought he was in pain etc checked him over, gave him stuff for his teeth, tried his dummy which usually soothes him & nothing! As for his needs being met I'm pretty sure they r being met just fine. He gets every thing he needs from the right food to play time & nap time etc

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 12-Aug-15 17:55:31

By needs not being met I don't mean neglect, I mean they aren't getting just what they want / need right that very second. I don't think that's 'bad tempered' though , that's just what babies do.

Anyway, I would get him checked out OP as the head thrashing would be a concern plus do what's been suggested plus distraction etc.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 12-Aug-15 17:56:11

Sorry, xposted!

Big glass of wine?wink

Daffolil Wed 12-Aug-15 18:00:08

Temper or not, have you had a look at the Wonder Weeks theory? It saved my sanity many times when dd was a baby. She pretty much just screamed at me at that age, so much was changing mentally and physically for her it must have been overwhelming.

Steph2468 Wed 12-Aug-15 18:02:06

What is the wonder weeks theory?

ShipShapeAhoy Wed 12-Aug-15 18:15:09

I'd say it's to do with not getting what they want, not what they need. Some babies certainly have a worse temper than others.

Thre is an app you can get called the wonder weeks. It tells yoy when your baby is due to go through a developmental 'leap' based on it's due date. During these leaps they can be extra fussy. I normally forget I have the app until I'm going through a terrible time with dd, then I check it in desperation and so far she's always been mid-leap when I do. It's good as it gives you a reason for their behaviour and a time scale so you have an idea when the leap will end.

Daffolil Wed 12-Aug-15 20:13:41

As ShipShape said, it was uncanny with it's timing and also gave me a glimpse of how dd would develop so I could look forward to what she would be able to do next. The app was good, and takes them though to 18months, I wish I'd had it from when she was a new born.

Steph2468 Thu 13-Aug-15 08:08:06

Just downloaded the app & apparently he has 12 days left of his 'leap' so let's hope the temper shops then ☺

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now