Talk

Advanced search

Highchair - wants out but clearly not full!

(4 Posts)
MalmMumma Tue 11-Aug-15 20:23:30

My DS is almost 2 and has decided this week that he doesn't want to be in his highchair anymore. He takes about 4 mouthfuls then hands the bowl/plate back to us and asks to get out. I've tried sitting him at a child's table and chairs but he just keeps getting up and wandering off. I gave up yesterday and just put his bowl on a little stool to see what happened - he ate it all so clearly the issue isn't to do with not being hungry. Do I just wait for the phase to pass and let him sit where he wants to eat or am I creating more problems for the future? I also don't want him to go to bed starving so ideally would prefer not remove all food after the 4 mouthfuls! Any ideas?! Thanks in advance xx

Gottagetmoving Wed 12-Aug-15 12:09:48

It depends whether you are bothered about where he eats and who decides where he eats.
I would probably make the rule that he sits at the table to eat but would not force him. If he wanted to get down I would let him. If he was hungry after that I would get him to return to the table because 'That is where we eat'
He will get it eventually and I doubt your DS would be 'starving' even if he had very little.
Its the worry of a child starving that makes parents give in to all sorts of demands a child makes.
Yes, I think you would be creating more problems for the future and not just about where he eats.

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 12-Aug-15 15:54:04

Agree with everything Gotta says.

SpaghettiMeatballs Wed 12-Aug-15 17:22:53

Have you tried a booster seat? That has made a difference for both my DCs when they went through this phase.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now