Talk

Advanced search

Quick help needed! Dummy removal tantrum

(12 Posts)
jellyjiggles Tue 11-Aug-15 19:01:59

Dd 2 were reducing her dummy to nighttime only. We're in middle of tantrum 40 minutes in so far. Sobbing, screaming etc.

We're 30 minutes of bedtime. Am I right in thinking I can't start bedtime until tantrum passes?

gamerchick Tue 11-Aug-15 19:05:53

Why are you taking it off her? Was she overly attached to it?

Mine used me as a dummy till 3 1/2 with no ill effects.. When they're tired they're tired and like their comforter.

jellyjiggles Tue 11-Aug-15 19:08:47

Very attached! Her teeth are being affected. It needs to go so we're taking it off her for daytime. She's been ok with it for last 4 days but tonight she's really not happy.

AtrociousCircumstance Tue 11-Aug-15 19:14:45

Hang in there. Give her cuddles if you can. Wait until bed time. She'll be ok.

ShelaghTurner Tue 11-Aug-15 19:21:48

Depends how long you're happy to leave her screaming for....

My 3.5yo was superglued to hers. We tried to remove it and for a week she was inconsolable to the point where we gave it back for bedtimes only. Now she knows she puts it in my bedside drawer in the morning and she goes and gets it when she goes to bed. And she's so excited getting it that she's been going to bed earlier than she was previously.

Her teeth and speech are just fine, dentist isn't concerned at all and I have no wish to distress her for no good reason.

bonnenuit Tue 11-Aug-15 19:22:21

We had this tonight too. Only way to stop it was a fig roll. Not sure if that's the right answer though!

I'm trying to hang in their though as dd (18m) is getting to the stage where she wants the dummy constantly. I don't mind her having it for sleeping or when she's tired, needs comfort, but she wants it all the time - when playing, eating, in the bath...Nonstop. Good luck.

bonnenuit Tue 11-Aug-15 19:23:13

Hang in there! blush

Itsbloodyraining Tue 11-Aug-15 19:27:13

Ha ha! We're doing the same with two year old. She's VERY attached, and it's pulling her top teeth forward. We're a few days in and are persevering through the tantrums. She is starting to understand and ask less. Distraction is my only technique.

happygirl87 Tue 11-Aug-15 19:27:52

VB is that you? grin

notascooby007 Tue 11-Aug-15 19:42:24

As it's 30 min before bed time I'd give it to her it's obviously a comfort and will help her to relax before bed rather than getting her all frustrated and anxious before bed. If she's been without it all day whereas she'd normally have it I'd say she's done really well making a big deal about it isn't going to help either of you

jellyjiggles Tue 11-Aug-15 19:49:12

Yes I'm VB grin

I'm skinny, rich and apparently my husband is hot grinhmm

We have to get it off her. Dentist said its affecting her teeth. She's incredibly attached to it!

Well we bathed which worked mainly because the canister the foam soap I bought for holiday bath time wouldn't stop dispensing so full can of foam in bath. That's ALOT of foam.

She's in bed now with dummy. Hopefully she's so worn out it'll be a good sleep.

Time for wine

notascooby007 Tue 11-Aug-15 19:57:39

Tbh honest I'd start letting her have it half hour b4 bed if it helps to settle her down before bed just while she's getting used to not having it during the day it's a big thing for them to give up something that's been so constant for them. Gradually reduce it by 5 mins until she's happy enough just to have it before bed

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now