Talk

Advanced search

Head banging one year old

(5 Posts)
CurlsLDN Sun 09-Aug-15 20:22:20

Hello, my ds is 15 months old and has recently started head banging. I've noticed that it happens if he is tired/bored/upset, so typical tantrum times.
I've read up a bit on it, and read that it's common in boys and that they won't do it hard enough to harm themselves, so I try not to be upset by it or for him to see any sort of emotional reaction from me.
When it happens I say no, quickly grab another toy and try to distract him. I'm mindful of not wanting to give it too much attention, while also needing to stop him doing it!
So, do any of you have experience of this? Do you have any advice on how I should deal with it?
- Just to note he has no developmental issues so I don't believe it's a sign of sn

1lov3comp5 Sun 09-Aug-15 20:27:06

My 15 mo started that about a month ago too, usually temper/reaction to being told no. I completely ignored it and made sure DH and dd ignored it too. Once or twice he hurt himself (tiled floors will do that!!) and I'd left him to his feet, walk him to a toy/window/his sister (anything really) to distract and only really offer comfort after a minute or two so that it wasn't associated with the head banging.
It has reduced a good bit already - thank god, it's awful to see!

CurlsLDN Sun 09-Aug-15 20:51:55

Glad to hear it's reduced for you! It sounds like we have the same approach to dealing with it. Let's hope they forget about it soon!

Boysies1012 Mon 10-Aug-15 22:30:59

My now 4 yo used to do this at about 2yo and we did the same technique described above. Lots of positive praise and attention wherever possible but completely ignore the head banging. Once my ds realised that he wasn't getting anything other than a sore head from it he soon stopped. It was however a very distressing thing to go through. Hth. x

EllyGee85 Mon 10-Aug-15 22:35:58

My DS did this at about 15-18months too. In fact I'd completely forgotten about it until I read this. I didn't do anything particularly special to stop it, he just seemed to grow out of it. I think it was due to frustration at not being about to talk very well

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now