Talk

Advanced search

Did he just say that?!

(8 Posts)
Jo4040 Sun 09-Aug-15 08:17:33

My DS is seven and a half months.
Only just started to sit up etc, wont always put food to his own mouth but is very sociable, always smiling, laughing.

However iv just been doing my hair when from behind me I hard his about 'MAMMA! '

Is this possible for a baby of his age? Me, his daddy and his brother are always talking to him and we do say MAMMA often.

Is this just a fulke do you think?

grin shock

Please be honest, I won't be at all bothered or anything if it was just a random noise!

Jo4040 Sun 09-Aug-15 08:18:34

Sorry, * I heard him shout

omama Sun 09-Aug-15 09:36:09

Yes entirely possible he is starting to put sounds together! Both my kids started making recognisable sounds at that age. DS (now 5) was a very early talker & DD (8 months) is following in his footsteps & saying mama, dada, baba & wov-wuh (which I think is her brother's name) grin.

DeeWe Sun 09-Aug-15 11:17:16

It probably wasn't a random noise, but it may not have meant you, if that makes sense.
They do often say "mama" because it's an easy sound to say. Or "mamamamamamamamama" grin

The way to tell is if they use it in the correct context. So if he says it when you come into the room, or that sort of thing then he probably does mean you.

You'll probably be able to tell shortly, if he reuses it. And if you make a nice big fuss, then he'll soon work out it's a good thing to say to you grin which is brilliant.

He may have worked out it's a noise that gets your attention. Dd2 started shaking her head to mean "no" at about that age, very definitely in the correct context and as an answer to a question. Rebellious 7 months olds don't bode well for the future. grin So I think they understand more than we assume they can.

AngelBlue12 Sun 09-Aug-15 11:39:10

My 9 month DD has been saying muma for about 2 months now - if I walk past her when she's sat on the floor and I don't pick her up she wails MUMA after me!

None of my other DD's spoke that young but apparently my big sis did smile

Eva50 Sun 09-Aug-15 15:07:03

My niece had quite a few words at that age and spoke in sentences at 18 months. She was also very small for her age so got a lot of strange looks. None of mine spoke that early.

Jo4040 Sun 09-Aug-15 15:07:55

Thanks people, smile

He said it again round about dinner time but I wasn't really near him, his Dad was.
It's a defo sound he is beginning to form and repeat.

How cute smile

ch1134 Sun 09-Aug-15 21:40:16

I think a lot of kids make 'Mama' and 'Dada' sounds from very young. We weren't sure when my son starting meaning to use 'mama' for me as he'd used the sound anyway from about 4 months.
But his first word was 'Hiya' to a stranger in the street at 8 months. He's said it every day since (now 18 months). he is now a real chatterbox with loads of words.
So I don't think 'Mama' at 7.5 months is implausible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now