Talk

Advanced search

shoes for 10 month old

(13 Posts)
RunningJumpingClimbingTrees Thu 06-Aug-15 20:25:13

baby started walking a couple of weeks ago and is starting to get pretty steady and spending more time on her feet. My mum and sil keep asking when am getting her proper shoes. I had planned to wait a bit until she is on her feet more when out and about but wondering if I'm wrong and should be getting her used to shoes now
any advice would be appreciated

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 06-Aug-15 20:26:24

Barefeet until she is walking around outside your house/garden

RunningJumpingClimbingTrees Thu 06-Aug-15 20:47:35

Thanks will wait another few weeks and see how we're going

Millymollymama Fri 07-Aug-15 08:53:32

Proper shoes at 10 months is a bit early for any baby . Little feet do not need to be constrained in shoes unless they are not on a pleasant surface. I would definitely not bother until she is 1. All children get used to shoes and there is really no rush. Save your money .

RunningJumpingClimbingTrees Fri 07-Aug-15 12:02:11

That's what I thought thank you
her feet seen so delicate still and she uses them for grip. will ignore well meaning relatives and wait a couple of months (not going to have her walking down the road any time soon)

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Fri 07-Aug-15 12:13:23

When you do put her in shoes, have a look at Happy Little Soles. They do gorgeous wee shows, and they are very soft and bendy, just what kids need.

Millymollymama Fri 07-Aug-15 14:12:07

If she is walking before 10 months I bet she will be sporty! Endless pairs of sports shoes beckon!!!

BoutrosBoutros Fri 07-Aug-15 14:21:41

DS was an early walker and we got a pair of Robeez (I think they're called!) soft shoes to protect his feet outdoors. You can get ones with super-soft rubber soles for if they walk on damp grass etc too. Meant we didn't get him proper shoes until he was around 14 months by which time he was really motoring!!! So many people rush their poor babies into shoes and there's nothing to be gained by it, definitely go with your instinct.

Deeedeeee Fri 07-Aug-15 14:49:36

Hi, I'm a shoe-fitter working with Podiatrists. Kids do not need shoes until they are walking outdoors. If you put them in shoes too early you risk slowing their walking progress (they need to feel the floor to help steady themselves when walking is developing). Save your money for later on when you'll be buying new shoes every 6 weeks!

RunningJumpingClimbingTrees Fri 07-Aug-15 18:08:50

Thanks am glad I asked, the answers coincide with what I thought.

Will let her wee feet stay free for as long as possible since I know we will be buying shoes every other week when she starts to grow.

I do think she is a sporty one in the making she hasn't stopped moving since she rolled over during tummy time at 3 weeks.

Littlef00t Fri 07-Aug-15 20:22:18

You can get soft leather/moccasin shoes with elastic from quite a few places. They are really totally flexible and suitable for pre-walkers, and they last for ages. Perfect for this stage imo.

YBR Sat 08-Aug-15 07:19:10

We got some soft pram shoes for dd1 at 10mo, we used them indoors at toddler groups etc to keep the glitter and stuff off her feet!
A few months later her feet were still too small for proper walking shoes, she was walking well, and had worn out the pram shoes. Sigh!

Purpleme Mon 10-Aug-15 21:41:23

Your thread has made me smile. I remember being 'in your shoes'.

My DD started walking around the 7-8 month mark. My parents were visiting from Spain and took a video, which they sent to my sister. Next thing I know is my sister, an experienced mother of three, all agitated on the telephone asking why her niece is not wearing shoes. I have just double-checked with the paediatrician, she told me, and she says not wearing shoes as soon as one starts walking results in deformed feet!

I sheepishly went off and bought some shoes.

Two days later I took my child for a routine check-up with the health visitor. She looked at shoe-wearing DD and, horrified, reprimanded me: Don't you know that wearing shoes as soon as one starts walking results in deformed feet?

I realised my DD did not stand a chance and she was bound to have deformed feet either way... so we did what seemed most reasonable *to us*: shoes outside, no shoes inside.

Fast-foward four years and DD's feet are not in any way deformed. Most Spanish kids wear (soft) shoes even before they walk. I did, judging by photographs, and have pretty decent feet. My DH has dreadful toes and did not wear shoes for a long time. Do as you please and as your child tells you; make sure s/he is comfortable and ignore everyone else.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now