Talk

Advanced search

Toilet training when I need to leave the house

(19 Posts)
Giraffe5 Wed 05-Aug-15 09:24:57

My dd is 30 months old. She seems to have dry nappies and so I know she isn't constantly weeing. She tells me when she's had a poo but not before and I can't tell when she wees.
My dad is really ill and I need to visit him every day which means taking her with me. He isn't going to get any better and visiting him daily is for the foreseeable future.

Should I use pull ups when out and nappy free at home?

minipie Wed 05-Aug-15 09:31:32

How long is the journey to your dad's, and is he in his own home (ie somewhere you could take and use a potty) or hospital where you couldn't?

If it's a short journey, say 30 min or less, and you could put out a potty when you get there, I would say stick with nappy free the whole time. Make sure she uses the potty before you start the journey and have a towel/wee mat under her in the car or buggy. Then when you get there, get her to use the potty again and make sure she knows where it is in your dad's place.

If not, then I'd go with pull ups for when going to your dad's.

minipie Wed 05-Aug-15 09:33:16

Actually another factor is whether your dad has carpets in the rooms you will be in when you are there...? if so then again that might point to pull ups when visiting him...

SpinMyBaby Wed 05-Aug-15 09:33:44

I was 6 months pregnant when toilet training DS so couldn't face entertaining him at home for the duration! We used a pull up over pants, so he could tell he was wet but the mess was more or less contained. It worked for us despite being inconsistent partly I think because he was old enough (just turned 3) to understand why it was different when we were out.

SpinMyBaby Wed 05-Aug-15 09:35:17

Just realised my last post wasn't clear: we used pull up over pants when out, and pants only at home.

Giraffe5 Wed 05-Aug-15 09:37:23

My dad is in a hospital and the journey is 20-30 minutes depending on traffic. I'm also 8 months pregnant. Should I do this now before baby comes? I have so much on my plate but don't want to hold dd back.

Thanks for your replies.

Giraffe5 Wed 05-Aug-15 09:43:11

My dad is in his own room and is due to move into a nursing home very soon (not something I ever wanted to do and a whole other upsetting situation) so I could take a portable potty with me.

Itsbloodyraining Wed 05-Aug-15 10:20:27

You poor thing, you sound like you're up to your eyes in it. We had hand towel for carseat, several changes of clothes, and potty in a carrier bag (scared of toilet). It only lasts a few weeks hopefully. We never ever used pull ups, it was all or nothing.

minipie Wed 05-Aug-15 10:24:29

Oh if you're 8 months pregnant then honestly I wouldn't do it right now. Especially given what else you are dealing with. Even if it works she's quite likely to regress when new baby arrives (I believe).

I really don't think you're holding dd back if you wait. Why not wait until the baby is say 3 or 4 months old - your DD will that bit older, so likely to get it quicker, and will have got used to having a sibling by then, so regression is less likely. She'll still be under 3 so a perfectly respectable age to be potty training iyswim!

Giraffe5 Wed 05-Aug-15 10:32:49

Thanks for your help ladies x

Duckstar Wed 05-Aug-15 10:38:05

I'd leave it. You have enough on your plate. Lots of people say to get the first trained before you have 2nd. I don't think it's any easier. I remember sitting down feeding baby in a cafe and my toddler announcing "he needed a wee" and having to de-latch screaming baby, pack up all stuff, go to loos. It was definitely not easy!

minipie Wed 05-Aug-15 16:27:02

I agree Duckstar - I think a toddler in nappies is easier than a just toilet trained toddler. Having to persuade them to use the loo before you set off, getting to the loo in time when they need it, taking a portable potty if going somewhere with no loos (eg the playground), wiping their bottom, taking spare clothes, dealing with accidents... It's actually a lot more hassle than changing a nappy! hence I suggest getting through the newborn stage with number 2 before potty training number 1.

Giraffe5 Wed 05-Aug-15 19:12:32

Duckstar, that doesn't sound good. When would you say the newborn stage is over? My dd has taken her nappy off twice today so I'm not sure how long she'll wait.

CatWithKittens Thu 06-Aug-15 09:37:06

Another one for leaving proper training normally with a baby coming so soon and so much else on your plate. It might be different if she was actually asking for a potty or obviously aware of needing a wee or a poo in advance. Our DS3 is very like you describe but when I tried trainer pants on him a couple of weeks ago we ran out almost within the morning, despite a stock of about 8 pairs! I'd wait till things are bit more settled with your father and new baby has arrived and you can sell the advantages of being a big girl who doesn't need nappies.

BikeRunSki Thu 06-Aug-15 09:48:21

Wait a bit. Have the baby. I was also pg (with hyperemisis) when ds was a similar age. I could finally face potty training when ds was 35 months and I was 7 months pg. Beacause he was more than ready, it only took a couple of weeks, and we were going out with a potty in a carrier bag after a couple of days. Never did pull ups.

minipie Thu 06-Aug-15 09:58:17

If she's taking her nappy off, you may be able to solve that by putting nappy on backwards and/or by putting her in vests with poppers rather than t shirts.

zannyminxoxox Sat 08-Aug-15 08:08:37

If she is ready just go for it take the nappy off and never look back, just take spare clothes with you. Make sure she does before and after you make the journey to prevent car accidents

MrTumblesSpottyHag Sat 08-Aug-15 11:18:53

I'd also leave it until baby is a few months old. If DD learns of her own accord in the meantime then great!

BlinkAndMiss Tue 11-Aug-15 09:38:01

I'd agree with waiting, my baby is 9 weeks and I gave up trying to potty train my eldest when I was in the later stages of pregnancy. I'd say the newborn stage is coming to an end now with the baby being in a bit of a routine now so we're just getting back to potty training. There are lots of different ways of approaching but pull ups seem to be working for us and keeping the potty in sight at all times. I am having to ask him frequently as he hasn't offered to go by himself yet but hopefully we'll get there. Ideally I'd like him in pants but cleaning up the messes and dealing with a baby is very stressful and I know a stressful environment will have a negative impact on training so trying to avoid that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now