Talk

Advanced search

Play ideas for 2yo who just doesn't do toys/crafts?

(10 Posts)
shitebag Tue 04-Aug-15 12:31:11

DD is 2.5yo and I'm struggling to keep her amused, she's not interested in toys or crafty activities in fact the only thing she seems to like doing is pottering around the garden, playing on the trampoline or going for a walk.

All my friends seem to find this odd behaviour suggesting that she probably jusyneeds new toys and I feel like she must be bored but I don't have endless funds to buy stuff she might like either.

My eldest is 9 and although he's never been a big toy fan he was always happy with wooden trains/duplo/hot wheels but she's not.

pinkje Tue 04-Aug-15 12:33:39

How about playing shops? grab a few items from your cupboards, make some pretend money (or your 9 year old could) a few bags and you're sorted.

(That's is she's aware what being served in a shop or supermarket is like, maybe you get all your groceries delivered!)

ThinkIveBeenHacked Tue 04-Aug-15 12:34:59

In this weather just let her play in the garden. I found dd is only just getting into drawing/crafts at 3 1/2.

SirPercyPilkington Tue 04-Aug-15 12:35:30

Totally agree that buying new toys is not the answer. My toddler likes doing things that he sees me doing i.e. everyday activities
Would she like to cook/bake with you?
Or play with water in jugs and bowls?
Or 'help' clean up with dusters and polish/water in a spray bottle?

shitebag Tue 04-Aug-15 12:49:24

Pinkje DS and i tried playing shops with her but she just threw everything aside and laughing like a hyena hmm grin

I think her concentration span is short which doesn't help matters, she will sit down or stand with me to do something e.g baking and within 3 minutes or so she's more interested in running around or throwing stuff around.

HV was unimpressed at her 28 month check as she refused to look at the dolls house or even attempt a 4 piece peg puzzle, I tried to explain that I have no reason to think she couldn't do a peg puzzle because she's meeting all milestones easily etc but I've never actually seen her do one because she's just not interested.

purpleaura Tue 04-Aug-15 13:05:26

Those sound like normal, happy hobbies for a 2yo to me. Can you just let her follow her interests for now? Is there a reason you want her to play in other ways? I wonder if you are worried about her a little, just from some of the things you said. Forgive me if I am reading too much into your posts.

shitebag Tue 04-Aug-15 14:04:07

Funnily enough purpleaura DS has been subject to assessment after assessment (with no difinitive outcome) throughout his 2 years at preschool and all 4 years at primary school mainly due to lack of concentration, zoning out and obsessive tendancies so I guess maybe I'm projecting my worries about being on par with peers onto DD... Now I'm thinking that its my issue not hers hmm

purpleaura Tue 04-Aug-15 19:11:22

Sounds like things with DS have been really tough on you. I'd certainly find that very stressful. If DD is meeting all her milestones then that's really positive. Health visitors are so variable. If you are concerned, is there a nice hv you can request? Might put your mind at rest. Sending love your way x

slightlyconfused85 Tue 04-Aug-15 21:35:35

My dd is 2.9 and couldn't give a hoot about crafts. Her favourite games are 'picnics' with toy cakes on a blanket and doctors with her new medical kit. She does like jigsaw puzzles but I have a friend whose ds wouldn't do the peg ones - she downloaded some as an app on her iPad and he was well up for this and is now interested in puzzles. Not ideal to ideal to use a screen I know but might pique her interest.

purplemurple1 Tue 04-Aug-15 21:42:25

Mine is almost two and apart from his side on toys ignores crafts, books, toys even his slide and bike.
At the park today rather than play in the sandpit he set about shovelling and wheelbarrowing (is that a word?) the and to another area and back again. And the setting a fire (not lighting of course) in the play house.
So just copying regular household jobs. I don't think its that weird I know I did similar as a child.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now