Talk

Advanced search

Can Anybody Recommend a Good Book About Toddlers?

(15 Posts)
LetThereBeCupcakes Tue 04-Aug-15 10:24:37

I'm just after something that might help me understand DS (2.6) a bit better. I don't want to be told I must do X, Y and Z to get the "perfect child", I just want some insight into what might be going on in that little head of his.

If it could give me some hints for staying sane that would be even better. I'm thinking along the lines of adjusting my own behaviour / reactions / expectations.

Does that make sense? Hmm. Not sure. grin

Melbournegal Tue 04-Aug-15 13:15:10

Hi, I found Toddler Taming by Dr Christopher Green to be quite insightful re behaviour, sleeping and eating, not to mention pretty funny at times.

SweetCharityBeginsAtHome Tue 04-Aug-15 13:18:33

I liked What To Expect...The Toddler Years

LetThereBeCupcakes Wed 05-Aug-15 10:00:56

Thanks both - heading to the library on Friday so will look out for those two.

Asleeponasunbeam Wed 05-Aug-15 10:06:45

I despise both of those books - not to say that you won't like them though. Depends on your point of view of course.
I like 'The Happiest Toddler on the Block' by Harvey Karp.

LetThereBeCupcakes Wed 05-Aug-15 10:17:15

Asleep was it the content you disliked? Or writing style? Or something else?

I'll add yours to my list.

Asleeponasunbeam Wed 05-Aug-15 10:22:23

Content really. Toddler Taming advocates, or tolerates, smacking - or the old version did anyway. I think the What to Expect books make are too based on milestones.

LetThereBeCupcakes Wed 05-Aug-15 10:31:50

OK, thanks. I'm not the sort to smack anyway and that resolve wouldn't be shaken by a book.

Milestones I find interesting but again wouldn't get too hung up on them. I'll probably aim to read all three books and take stuff from all of them <indecisive>

littlegemsem Wed 05-Aug-15 20:12:12

I have just read a book called Positive parenting by Jane Nelson and it was great. I have 2 yr old twin boys and was stuck in a rut of negativity, this book really made me think and approach things differently. x

plummyjam Thu 06-Aug-15 17:20:20

This might not be popular on mumsnet but Jo Frost's confident toddler care is actually a really good book with lots of pragmatic advice

ApplySomePressure Thu 06-Aug-15 17:25:18

Toddler calm has been an excellent read. It has given me an understanding as to what DS is going through and how I can help

MagpieCursedTea Thu 06-Aug-15 17:46:14

A friend of mine just recommended Toddler Calm to me, sounds really good!

Asleeponasunbeam Thu 06-Aug-15 17:54:11

Oh and I've just remembered the brilliant 'Science of Parenting' by Margot Sutherland. It's really good on explanations of why children behave as they do and what they need.

Asleeponasunbeam Thu 06-Aug-15 17:54:37

Sunderland, sorry

LetThereBeCupcakes Thu 06-Aug-15 20:57:18

Thanks all. How come we don't like jo frost? I always quite liked her!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now