Talk

Advanced search

2 Year old reading/memory

(17 Posts)
lyssie29 Sun 02-Aug-15 20:06:35

hi, I'm just curious about something. My 2 year and 4month old daughter has great speech. You can have proper conversations with her. She has started to say sentences from her books from memory some of them 20 words plus long. I was just wondering if this is normal for her age to remember such things? She will also sit quite happily playing with a box and repeatedly putting in shapes. I bought a phone and she sat for over half an hour putting in and taking out the plug (which had a little hole that it went in) and was really concentrating on it.

overthemill Sun 02-Aug-15 20:07:27

Yes perfectly normal. It's how they learn basically.

dashoflime Sun 02-Aug-15 20:09:52

She sound bright. My Ds had much, much less language than that at the same age. Sounds like she has a good long attention span too. Good for her!

FuckOffPeppa Sun 02-Aug-15 20:14:12

Yes, completely normal smile What are you worrying about?

lyssie29 Sun 02-Aug-15 20:16:08

I'm not worried just curious about it smile

tumbletumble Sun 02-Aug-15 20:19:08

DS1 was like that - age 2 and a half he could recite loads of books from memory. He was an early reader and he's now a bright 9yo.

Ferguson Sun 02-Aug-15 22:56:41

Yes, as others have said, normal and to be enjoyed (by parents, I mean.)

But don't confuse 'learning to recite' from text, possibly aided by a picture, with 'reading' which, at this age it probably is not. [I was once a voluntary helper in a Reception class, where the children would confidently 'read' little books without even having the correct page open; they had done them so many times they knew them off by heart.]

And children can have very long attention spans, when it concerns something of interest to them, and that they probably gain a 'reward' from in self-satisfaction, and possibly a favourable comment from a parent.

At around that age, our DS got out a bag of coloured plastic clothes-pegs, and sorted them all into their colour batches.

So, construction toys, jigsaw puzzles, drawing materials, child-safe scissors for cutting up and sticking junk mail, or catalogues, matching games, such as dominoes, are all good activities to stimulate and develop learning, manual skills and memory. REAL toys are better than screen-based or artificial ones.

If you wish, for your own interest, keep a log of developmental stages and progress.

BeautifulBatman Sun 02-Aug-15 22:57:31

stealth boast

YouBastardSockBalls Sun 02-Aug-15 22:58:54

My 2.9 year old can't do this. She sounds bright smile nurture it!!

My DS is very capable in other ways though, he can ride a bike with no stabilisers < not so stealth boast>

Clairelou08 Mon 03-Aug-15 06:07:46

My Dd was like that, I remember sitting and teaching her to right the alphabet and numbers when she was just three. DS on the other hand is just not interested! He's a clever boy but only on the things he wants to learn ha ha they're all different just go with it x

MiaowTheCat Mon 03-Aug-15 08:17:08

One of mine can recite full books from memory (I've got a photographic memory myself so it could be inherited).

Unfortunately she can also recite full episodes of the sodding Rhyme Rocket.

slightlyconfused85 Thu 06-Aug-15 09:39:02

My 2.9 year old know most of her books off by heart - she can't read. She is also really really good at jigsaw puzzles. I think it is simply a sign of a good memory, nothing much else.

Millymollymama Fri 07-Aug-15 14:30:15

Actually I think it is a sign of possibly being quite bright. If children 'get ' things really quickly and are willing to concentrate, it is highly likely they will do well at school. The trick is to make sure they really enjoy something and are enthusiastic about learning. Very bright children almost teach themselves to read. They can't if they don't have the right stimulation at home. So I definitely think it is best to have toys, puzzles, jigsaw puzzles, building blocks, crayons and lots of stories and poems to help literacy. It is fun sourcing toys and creating play activities for children like this. As a baby my DD would concentrate for hours on her toys. Wasn't sporty though!

Cloggal Fri 07-Aug-15 21:37:08

My 2.2 yo does this, it's definitely memory but as a pp said both dh and I are like this too (I have a photographic memory, at least I did, until about two years ago!) - maybe she is displaying traits of yours? It's lots of fun though!

DeeWe Sun 09-Aug-15 11:08:05

Normal. What they're interested in they will concentrate on and learn.

I remember watching my just 2yo cousin reading the Very Hungry Caterpillar.
I thought she must be reading, as she pointed to each word in turn, and turned the pages at the right time; every word correct. Turned out she just knew it (and a lot of other books) from memory. When she went to school they found she was very long sighted and struggled to read words on a page. Once she had glasses she shot ahead though.
She was also singing quite long songs from memory at that age. Not nursery rhymes but songs from the musicals like "Where is love" and that sort of thing.

HJBeans Tue 11-Aug-15 00:11:51

My DS has just turned two and has started piping up with phrases from his books at the right point in the story and singing full songs from memory. It's like uber-memory just switched on in full strength overnight. My memory's rubbish, so I'm quite impressed!

MsJuniper Tue 11-Aug-15 00:42:32

I've been amazed at DS's memory since he could talk, I guess they are taking in and learning so much from birth but now they can talk we can see just how much! One of the most startling ones was when he recited the track listing from the cd he likes to listen to, in perfect order. He is pretty bright and very verbal but I'm sure all children are taking in information at an astonishing rate. Hopefully your DD will go on to enjoy learning and putting her memory to great use smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now