Talk

Advanced search

Self esteem and confidence for girls....book recommendations?

(4 Posts)
OrangeSunset Sun 02-Aug-15 19:38:05

DD is 6, and I'd like to read up a bit on how best to promote her self esteem and confidence. I (like many others) am quite hard on myself with respect to social stuff, and remember feeling as a child I felt like I never quite got it right with regards to friends. I'd like to avoid DD feeling the same.

DD has a good number of friends and they seem positive, good friendships. However, I think in a wider setting she sometimes ends up on the periphery because she's unsure about how to approach the situation and get involved, and then becomes withdrawn and upset if she's not included. She's certainly not being excluded in these situations, more left behind.

I'm completely aware that I may be projecting my own insecurities on to her, and she really is a happy little soul. I guess I'm just looking for some strategies to just give her a little support with some of the things she appears to struggle with, especially meeting new children and when interacting with very confident ones, and to have the resilience to say 'stuff it' and walk away if she's getting drowned out without feeling that it's something that she did wrong.

Any suggestions gratefully received smile

Pocket1 Sun 02-Aug-15 22:06:22

Have a look at Steve Buddulph Raising Girls smile

westcountrywoman Sun 02-Aug-15 22:11:38

Have a look at this blog post from 'A Mighty Girl'. I believe many of the books are American but you should be able to get them on Amazon UK too:

www.amightygirl.com/blog?p=4233

FuckOffPeppa Sun 02-Aug-15 22:17:34

I was going to suggest a mighty girl, loads of great ideas for all ages

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now