Talk

Advanced search

10 month old's new screech; possessed by the devil or normal? It makes birds fall out of trees and old ladies tut!

(14 Posts)
MrsTatum1980 Fri 31-Jul-15 18:49:49

As the title said really, my DS aged 10 months has suddenly decided to produce this (godawful) sound, it is high pitched, loud and makes me die a little inside, it's hideous!
It appears to come out when he's tired or not getting his own way so I'm presuming it's his way of expressing his frustration but I've never heard a noise like it! His big sister never managed the decibel level or pitch he has (but she also never ate the cat food and head butted every one she met (affectionately I hasten to add!) so I shouldn't compare!
Is this normal and is there anyway I can stop it? I'm having to drink copious amounts of white wine from 5.31pm when my DP arrives home just to cope!

Littlef00t Fri 31-Jul-15 18:54:27

Dd started tantruming expressing her displeasure at this age, often in the form of a scream. I often acted deaf in the hope she'd try another method of communication which was a bit hit and miss.

A phase, not a great one.

MrsTatum1980 Fri 31-Jul-15 18:56:12

Dare I ask how long it lasts?

PotteringAlong Fri 31-Jul-15 18:57:24

It's a god awful phases. I can't remember how long it lasted because I have blanked it out grin

MioNome Sun 02-Aug-15 14:23:22

DS2 almost 9mo does this. He's always been a bit of a shrieker and often sounds like a seagull in distress, but now he's added extra volume. He saves the really loud ones for when I wipe his face or put him in his cot to do something terrible like go for a pee alone.

It's soul-destroying - especially when DS1 joins in. You think it's loud from a 9mo? Try a 9mo and a 3yo....

FeedYourselfSmiles Wed 05-Aug-15 12:52:45

My 5 month old does this! He sounds like a pteradactyl. It's horrible but quite funny. I can't work out why he does it but usually seems happy. If we sit him in his bouncy chair outside he does it at the trees.

tatumsfunkychicken Wed 05-Aug-15 13:02:03

Yes I'm sure I started a thread when my ds was a similar age and there have been other threads about this too. It is utterly horrendous. It used to make my blood slowly boil over the course of a day. And DP would get home at 6.15pm and laugh at the noise and I'd be twitching in the corner, snarling and wringing my hands.

It doesn't last. He did it at 3 months and about 10 months. Hasn't done it since (18 mo now).

Ignore it (as difficult as that advise is!) and make plenty of other noises for him to mimic. I think it was at that age I started actively teaching loud/quiet for my own sanity. Just to show that there is an alternative to the hellish screech. But it will pass in time. wine

Milkyway1304 Wed 05-Aug-15 14:50:33

We had that at 8-10months. Can't remember when it stopped but haven't had it in a while now thankfully. Although at 15months we are getting full on waterworks at the most minor inconvenience...

FlossieTreadlight Wed 05-Aug-15 15:09:49

Almost 10mo with screechitis here too - had a phase at 3 months and then again at 5mos. His sister was the same.

Sigh.

FlossieTreadlight Wed 05-Aug-15 15:10:14

Almost 10mo with screechitis here too - had a phase at 3 months and then again at 5mos. His sister was the same.

Sigh.

FlossieTreadlight Wed 05-Aug-15 15:36:37

Sigh.

FlossieTreadlight Wed 05-Aug-15 15:37:19

So good, I posted it three times. Sorry hmm

wotamidoing Wed 05-Aug-15 20:04:38

Same here, and 2.5 year old thinks it's funny to copy. I think I am a candidate for child related hearing loss in later life.

purplemurple1 Wed 05-Aug-15 20:30:16

Ours are 7months and almost 2yrs so have regular screeching competitions.

Ear defenders are your friend in the dau grin and wine is your best friend at night wine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now