Talk

Advanced search

DD's bottom

(20 Posts)
itsonlysubterfuge Fri 31-Jul-15 13:48:32

DD is 3, I'm not sure if her bottom is itching her or if she's just "discovered" it. I've asked if it's itching her and sometimes she says yes, sometimes she says no.

I've looked at her bottom and there are red scratches around it where it looks like she's taken some of the skin off.

Is there anything I need to watch for or be concerned with? I'm worried she's going to really scratch herself. I've been keeping her nails cut and she's a bit of a nudist grin so I can't keep her clothes on, she just strips them off.

MrsAukerman Fri 31-Jul-15 13:50:12

Is she in preschool or nursery? Sorry to say it sounds like worms.

itsonlysubterfuge Fri 31-Jul-15 18:00:52

No preschool or nursery, she is very rarely around other children.

MrsFlorrick Fri 31-Jul-15 18:06:18

I would get the tablets for pin worm just in case.

itsonlysubterfuge Fri 31-Jul-15 18:08:03

Do you not need to go to the GP if it is worms?

Jasonandyawegunorts Fri 31-Jul-15 18:08:58

Do you not need to go to the GP if it is worms?

Nope you just go and get some tablet from the chemist, It's like nits.

purplemurple1 Fri 31-Jul-15 18:12:31

Have you recently started nappy free time and potty training or has she just learnt how to strip? That would tie in with scratching because she can now esp if she has been prone to nappy rash before so maybe more sensitive.

itsonlysubterfuge Fri 31-Jul-15 18:21:39

No, she's been potty trained for nearly a year now. I was sure she was just discovering it. She was very sensitive with her vagina being touched or wiped and is now much more comfortable with it. I've noticed she's started exploring touching her vagina when she was watching TV, etc. as young kids do which is fine, after a week or so after that I noticed she found her bottom.

It might be worms, but I'm still breastfeeding DD and it says on the NHS website you shouldn't breastfeed while taking the medication.

purplemurple1 Fri 31-Jul-15 19:16:37

Does the nhs advice not mean the breastfeeder (you) shouldn't take the medication rather than your dd?

seaoflove Fri 31-Jul-15 19:26:16

She might just enjoy scratching her arse grin I know my DD has left scratch marks on her buttocks, and she's never had worms.

itsonlysubterfuge Fri 31-Jul-15 19:37:59

I asked her about it tonight and she said "I want to put my finger in my bottom to get poo on my finger" hmm Children.

Not convinced it's worms, but will definitely watch out for it.

purple I know, but the NHS website suggests everyone in the house should be treated for worms, so would I be unable to take it? Sorry, I should have been more clear. The main reason being the NHS generally assumes you are breastfeeding a baby rather than your DC who has the worms.

purplemurple1 Fri 31-Jul-15 20:02:59

Oh ok sorry.
You could ask on the feeding board I know there is a really good site/person for checking medications that are ok for breastfeeding but I don't remember the details.

PourquoiTuGachesTaVie Fri 31-Jul-15 20:06:20

I think the advice not to breastfeeding is for mothers feeding children under 2, who are too young to take the medication themselves anyway.

Ds had worms a few months ago, he was the only one with symptoms so he took the tablet and the rest of the family followed the hygiene guidelines as me and dd couldn't take the medication.

HappyAsASandboy Fri 31-Jul-15 20:46:31

I am currently breastfeeding a 7 month old baby and my GP has just prescribed worm medicine for me (and the rest of the family). He said there are medicines he can prescribe for the baby too, but he'd rather not unless we see evidence that the baby has worms too.

So, in your shoes, if call your GP and talk it through. TBH my GP wouldn't prescribe unless you've seen worms, not just for scratching ....

HappyAsASandboy Fri 31-Jul-15 21:10:39

There is some useful information here about worm medication during Breastfeeding:

www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/wp-content/dibm/threadworms-oct14.pdf

seaoflove Fri 31-Jul-15 21:32:18

Personally, I wouldn't rush out for worm treatment unless you categorically know she has them.

itsonlysubterfuge Fri 31-Jul-15 22:39:27

Thank you Happy

sea I am very reluctant to give anyone in this house any kind of medicine without a good reason. So far, I haven't seen anything to lead me to believe it might be worms.

Mostly, I just dread having to clean the giant box of soft toys DD has grin.

itsonlysubterfuge Sat 01-Aug-15 13:14:27

Just a quick update:

Everyone's bottom and poo has been checked and there is no evidence of pin/thread worms. So I feel it's most likely just DD enjoying her new found bottom rather than worms.

Thank you everyone for your advice.

MrsAukerman Sat 01-Aug-15 17:35:51

Lovely news. Glad you only have an inquisitive daughter not a worm infestation!

MiaowTheCat Wed 05-Aug-15 14:33:48

Dd1 went through similar recently. It turned out to be as utterly obvious as that she keeps taking her pants off to go to the toilet and had got them back on with her body through the leg home and the itching was her trying to get comfortable!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now