Talk

Advanced search

2y5m old potty training - help!

(12 Posts)
jessifleur Thu 30-Jul-15 18:06:47

Ok so we've started potty training today as we're able to stay in the house for a few days. Had big pile of 'big boy' pants, set a timer and put our son on potty every 20 mins, made a huge fuss when did a dribble of wee on there ( like literally, a drop!) and no fuss when he did a wee on the floor (6 times and counting...) BUT it's not working, he's wet himself whilst playing, when he's just got off the potty and he also went off to 'hide' from Daddy before and did a wee on the floor.
Do we do the same tomorrow? (having washed all his pants tonight grin) or do we go back to pull up pants?
I didn't think it'd be this tough!

PettsWoodParadise Thu 30-Jul-15 18:28:53

I didn't start potty training until DD was asking to go to the toilet for number twos and did all those out of a nappy and she was dexterous enough to pull knickers up and down herself. I also by then knew the signs when she was likely to go. She'd make specific movements. She was also very aware when she did go and could feel her wet nappy and didn't like it and so it was an incentive for her. She was two and a half and we spent a week on it. I followed her round the house and garden with a potty but didn't put her on it until I saw the signs. It was hard work for about three days and I booked the week off work so I had no choice to put it off so I was relieved when it all clicked. A few accidents but we'd expected that. I don't have a boy to advise how that may be different but perhaps every half an hour is a bit intense? Has he showed signs of being aware he is about to go and when he is wet? If not then maybe get that first and it will make potty training easier at a later date. Hopefully someone with a boy and more experience than me will be able to give better advice.

jessifleur Thu 30-Jul-15 18:56:13

Thanks PettsWood, I am wondering if he's just not ready yet... he does use the potty and kiddie toilet in nursery so I was hoping that would just translate to home (maybe wishful thinking on my part!) smile

jessifleur Thu 30-Jul-15 18:57:59

I'm due to give birth to our second son in 3 weeks so there may be an element of trying to make son #1 fit into our timetable... think we'll try again tomorrow and see how it goes xx

backtowork2015 Thu 30-Jul-15 22:19:02

I wouldn't continue for now of I was you. life will be disrupted enough when the baby comes, neither you or him need this added pressure. try again when the baby has settled in

makedaw Thu 30-Jul-15 23:54:58

I would like to disagree with others -- you may continue if you want to. There are easier ways available on the internet for you to try, trust me.

I too was struggling just like you a few months ago and I can totally relate to your problem. My friend was able to potty train her child in 3 days and she too had the same problem with her child just like you. Her article was recently published on a news website in which she has talked about her journey and struggle in regards to potty training her child. I was absolutely STUNNED when she told me she had saved almost $800 in diaper expenses when her child was fully potty trained within a few days.

Here's a link to her review: www.newsdailygroup.com/how-i-potty-trained-my-kid-in-3-days-like-a-champ/

I'm following her advice too, seeing great results so far and I am quite happy with the progress of my child. Although I was unable to potty train my child in 3 days, but I am quite sure my child will be fully potty trained within 6-7 days. Hopefully, this article will definitely help other mommies who are struggling to potty train their child. smile

itsonlysubterfuge Fri 31-Jul-15 13:51:45

DD was ready to use the potty, asked about it all the time, was very curious, even asked to use the potty. She still struggled to use it the first couple of days.

I think you could keep trying, new things are scary. The fact that your son can use the potty at nursery, but not at home makes me question whether or not he just needs to get use to it.

backtowork2015 Fri 31-Jul-15 20:59:53

makedaw, nothing like touting for business, you on commission? ! the poor op and her ds are going to have enough going on in a fortnight without dealing with the inevitable puddles

Mrscog Fri 31-Jul-15 21:05:22

I would wait a few months, it will be much easier. dS was nowhere near ready at 2.5, more like 2.9ish.

Emmie10 Fri 31-Jul-15 22:24:16

My LO is 2.3 and potty trained a few weeks ago. She took 5 days to get it even though she's been randomly using the potty for months. I felt like we were getting nowhere and was so close to stopping but it just clicked. She's been clean and dry with no accidents since the first five days. Might be worth carrying on for a bit longer.

jessifleur Sat 01-Aug-15 11:41:48

Thanks everyone I really appreciate your thoughtful advice. Today's day three and not much better really - I think maybe he just has no idea when he needs to go so it's totally hit and miss (I mean that literally!) My husband seems to think it's going ok so perhaps I'm expecting too much too quickly - patience is not my strong suit even when not mega-pregnant hmm
Off to a BBQ tomorrow with loads of pants, changes of clothes and nappies!

Fugghetaboutit Sat 01-Aug-15 12:09:35

I just waited until ds was ready. I always had a potty there in the room and in bathroom and he knew what it was for. During heat wave he was naked a lot and I found a wee in the potty. Started from there.
He now much prefers the toilet as we use it.
I would wait a bit longer or it could push him back further

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now