Talk

Advanced search

7 week old feeds for hours

(3 Posts)
ParsleyCake Tue 28-Jul-15 16:20:38

My 7 week old is nursing for up to an hour and a half at a time. He latches well, so that's not the problem. Most of the time he does little 'butterfly sucks' as one midwife described it, but I was told that this was a good thing and it shouldn't be discouraged, and that I shouldn't pull the baby off my breast if he isn't finished. The thing is, he is spending all the time he is awake on my breast.

This has been happening for the last three or four days. What should I do? Try to enforce an 'every 3 hours' feeding routine and pull him off after 40mins?

mygreeneyedboy Tue 28-Jul-15 17:56:45

This is all normal! Even the length of the feeds. What is best is to just feed on demand. And yes that does mean it could be after 15 mins. He is probably going through a growth spurt. In a good few weeks he'll find a routine and be more spaces out and quicker feeds. But for now - enjoy the peace and quite and get a good TV program on whilst he is feeding!

bittapitta Tue 28-Jul-15 17:58:31

It's normal. 1.5 to 2 hours is how long my baby's feeds were too. Sorry. Settle down with snacks and the TV remote. They get shorter as they get older.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now