Talk

Advanced search

Fussiness at 18/19 months?

(9 Posts)
mygreeneyedboy Tue 28-Jul-15 07:56:25

DS is 19 months this week. He used to be fairly good at eating. For example breakfast would be two wheetabix demolished in minutes - sometimes three! - and this was at 9 months old. Today he could hardly finish one.

He refuses all fruit apart from a banana, but won't always eat that anyway.

He used to eat yoghurt, it used to be his favourite food, and now it's not uncommon for him to refuse it.

He currently loves grated cheese. Pasta. Potatoes. Pizza. It's not healthy at all. I try to do lots of healthy meals - hiding healthy food in pasta sauces, of mixing it into mash potato. But he isn't eating as much as he normally would have.

He loves milk, and is happy to drink water. He also loves crisps and biscuits (not happy at DP introducing this to him!) - he'll point at the cupboard where they (sometimes) are and he will scream until I distract him or give in (I only give in if I actually deem he can have a snack).

He seems to be thinning out - although this just could be normal growth? I would have expected him in the 18-24 month clothes three months ago going by previous clothes sizes.

It's not teething as its gone on too long and he currently has no symptoms of teething.

When do I need to start to worry about seeing a GP or health visitor?

Evilpixie Tue 28-Jul-15 08:19:11

No child will starve themselves. Continue just as you are keep offering food at meal time and dont make an issue out of him not eating it All children go through this at some point he is testing boundrys.
Is he you only dc?

mygreeneyedboy Tue 28-Jul-15 08:30:47

Yes he is currently only DC (10 weeks pregnant as well)

You say that but he has been known to only eat half a biscuit in a whole day - this was a few weeks ago, when he had about a week of barely eating. I did put that week down to teething (and confirmed correct by the week after him suffering from extreme nappy rash, and constant dirty nappies.) so I wouldn't put it passed him to not eat enough.

mygreeneyedboy Tue 28-Jul-15 20:59:44

He didn't eat much lunch, and hardly any dinner.. sad
This can't be teething.. But I can't understand how it can be pure fussiness. Starting to worried there might be something else causing it.. (No idea what!)

backtowork2015 Tue 28-Jul-15 21:24:07

has he got hand foot and mouth?

toffeeboffin Wed 29-Jul-15 01:45:25

I second backtowork. My is has just had it and his appetite went very bizarre.

toffeeboffin Wed 29-Jul-15 01:45:49

is = son

Littlef00t Sun 02-Aug-15 19:42:51

Babies do slow down a lot in their second year the amount they eat. Cheese pasta and potatoes and to a lesser extent pizza are all fine foods. Carbs are good! My HV advised veg isn't as important as carbs and protein.

DIYandEatCake Mon 03-Aug-15 09:36:52

Yesterday my 19mo ds ate:

Two spoonfuls of weetabix
quarter of a peanut butter sandwich
4 bits of popcorn
A few grapes and blueberries
A whole mini milk ice lolly (I know, I know, but his older sister had one..)
A small handful of fresh peas
Two spoonfuls of salmon fish cake.

That was a really good day for him (mini milk aside!) cheese and potatoes and pasta are pretty good for toddlers. If you're worried maybe give him some vitamin drops?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now