Talk

Advanced search

My son doesn't speak anything after 26 months?

(16 Posts)
Fiona2011231 Sat 25-Jul-15 13:06:04

Could you pls advise?

I have two sons (2 and 6). Now I'm a bit worried about the second one, as he does not speak anything after 26 months.

On the one hand, we are happy as he is perfectly normal in every way. In terms of language understanding, it seems he understands us rather well. I can tell him to go upstairs, to stop doing something, to brush his teeth, etc. But he does not speak anything, even 'mum, dad'.

Your opinion is greatly appreciated.

Sirzy Sat 25-Jul-15 13:08:30

If he is completly non verbal at over 2 I would be asking for a speech and language refferal.

PerspicaciaTick Sat 25-Jul-15 13:17:22

Hi, your health visitor might be a good person to talk to as they will be able to refer you to the right support.

BelindaBagwash Sat 25-Jul-15 13:32:50

My son barely said anything until he was nearly 3. or if he tried to speak nobody could understand him. There was no baby talk at all. Then suddenly when he was 3, he started to speak in whole sentences.

I think he was just waiting until he could say something worthwhile!!

DangerGrouse Sat 25-Jul-15 14:42:20

He's due for his 27 month check now. They will advise and suss out what's going on. Have you booked in for that yet?
26 months is a bit late to not be saying anything you're right.
However Einstien didn't speak until he was five apparently so it's not always a huge problem.

BabyMum1 Sat 25-Jul-15 15:26:07

We had the same we did lots of speech therapy but the only thing that helped was proefa omega 3 and vitamin supplementation (we did a blood test and he was deficient in zinc and vitamin d)

Ferguson Sat 25-Jul-15 19:36:47

Does he communicate with you, or his brother, in any other - non verbal - way?

Does he go to any nursery or toddler activities?

Yes, I think you need to contact your HV. For information, there is a condition called Selective Mutism, and I add a couple of links:

www.ispeak.org.uk/

www.smira.org.uk/

Newlywed56 Sat 25-Jul-15 21:49:35

My youngest sister didn't talk for quite a while (can't remember exact age) but it turns out she felt like she didn't need too as we talked for her. For example if she pointed at a toy we would say oh yes you want this toy instead of asking her what she wanted and waiting for a response , just in case yous do a similar thing smile

JJXM Sun 26-Jul-15 13:16:56

I would go to your GP and try and get a referral to a speech and language therapist. My son didn't speak at that age and was eventually diagnosed with ASD - lots of people said the Einstein comment to me too. He might just be a late speaker or it might be something more - no harm getting it checked out.

Important things to notice are - is your DS pointing at things when he wants them? My DS never pointed at all even at 3. When he wants a drink or something to eat what does he do? Does he take you to the item he wants or does he just lie there frustrated?

dietstartstmoz Sun 26-Jul-15 13:22:58

Speech delay can be a sign of other difficulties, including Autism and selective mutism. Contact your health visitor asap and explain and ask for a referral for a speech therapy assessment. Our youngest did have speech but was delayed and has Autism. It is not normal development to not speak at 26 months. It is believed Einstein had Autism, although it did not have a name then.

BabyMum1 Sun 26-Jul-15 14:27:34

It's not normal development but doesn't mean there is something wrong! Some children are late and that's it! Not all children that start speaking at 3 or 3,5 are autistic
I agree they have to look into it but it could be anything, hearing loss, glue ear, vitamin deficiency , developmental delay... Most of which can be easily fixed!

dietstartstmoz Sun 26-Jul-15 16:40:30

I didnt mean to imply your ds has autism, but i do know that it needs to be investigated. Development delay is not easily fixed, but yes glue ear and other things are easier to sort out. Does your ds babble or try and sing along to songs or nursery rhymes or tv shows?

Redtowel Sun 26-Jul-15 18:23:01

Marking my place on this as my 2 year only has two words...

BernardBlack Sun 26-Jul-15 18:34:08

DS is 23 months and can say 'oh wow' and that's it. So also place marking! We had the HV out a couple of months ago and she wasn't overly concerned, she said as long as he was trying to communicate (eye contact, pointing, making noises), which he does, then that was a good sign. But I'm definitely getting a bit worried as time goes on...

Fiona2011231 Tue 28-Jul-15 16:51:19

Thank you for your replies.

My son seems normal. He does point to things and objects. He laughs and makes sounds. He babbles. When he wants me to play with him, he would drag me away from my work. So it seems there is no sign of autism.

BabyMum1 Wed 29-Jul-15 12:01:07

If I were u id check for vitamin deficiencies, I know it's not standard procedure in UK , I had mine done when I went back home to Greece but apparently in other countries it's standard practice for child to be having a blood test to check vitamin/thyroid etc level
U get a lot of info from this and ur child might benefit big time

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now