Talk

Advanced search

Do you have a child who is never happy with what you for them ? Who is always onto the next thing they can get out of you ?

(10 Posts)
Myfoofneedspruning Thu 23-Jul-15 18:34:48

My dd (8) is like that and because of that I find difficult being around her. She is always asking for things, she is never satisfied with what she has. To give you examples : I take her out for a movie, where she also got pick and mix and a drink, she asked if we could go and buy a my little pony at the end of the movie during the credit ! We are going to take her to eurodisney for 2 days : her reaction : why don't we stay 5 days ? I'm taking her away to see a friend in Italy : her reaction when I told her we were going for 4 days : of why don't we stay 2 weeks ? I have many examples like that...she is never satisfied with anything. It makes me resenting her. Anyone can relate ?

Wolfiefan Thu 23-Jul-15 18:36:14

What do you do when she says these things?

Myfoofneedspruning Thu 23-Jul-15 18:36:56

I say no, I spend my life saying no and explaining why I say no

Myfoofneedspruning Thu 23-Jul-15 18:37:27

I feel like a shit mother because she must know/feel that I resent her.

Sleepybunny Thu 23-Jul-15 18:43:13

What about instead of saying no or anything negative you say something positive like "aren't you lucky to be going on such a trip?" "Can you imagine some people never get a chance to visit places abroad"

I'm sure someone will be along with better advice!

BeautifulLiar Thu 23-Jul-15 18:47:50

yep my DS is the same.

Wolfiefan Thu 23-Jul-15 19:34:34

You don't resent her. Just her behaviour.

Why don't we stay 2 weeks? Because we're not made of money and if you'd rather then we just won't go at all.

Yoruba Thu 23-Jul-15 20:17:22

God I feel like this about my dd at times too. She can be such a brat. She is younger (almost 6) every time we go to a shop she says will you buy me something? She doesn't even care what it is she just wants to buy buy buy. I don't think it's anything I've done confused I almost always say no.
She seems so unappreciative of the nice things we do sometimes (not always)

pnutter Thu 23-Jul-15 20:22:49

My dd also the same. She even says we are poor!! I'm a lone parent but she never goes without . She's also 8

Strawberrybubblegum Thu 23-Jul-15 20:34:04

Do you give her pocket money? OK, it wouldn't help with the trips abroad grin. But for things like the my little pony, you can suggest that she can buy it out of her pocket money when she's saved up enough. The process of planning what she really wants to buy and saving up for it might help her to appreciate that things have a cost.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now