Talk

Advanced search

2 3/4 year old not growing

(6 Posts)
ClodiaF Wed 22-Jul-15 16:34:13

My DS was born measuring on the 91st percentile for height. I have noticed in the last year he doesn't seem to have grown much, and when he was measured at the HV clinic today he has slid all the way down to the 9th. This seems especially strange as everyone in our family is tall (his brother is on the 91st percentile for height as well). He doesn't have a great appetite but lots of other kids I know have rubbish diets and still grow fine. I am a bit worried. Interested to know if anyone else has seen this and what the outcome was if so.

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 22-Jul-15 21:21:39

I would say that dropping more than 2 centimes in weight is usually a sign to get your DC investigated. Not sure it's the same for height but I'd definitely book an appointment with your GP, take your red book and insist they do height weight and head circumference and record all 3 in the book.

Our GP can be a bit lazy and in the past has had to be pushed to do this, but it's the first thing they want to look at if you get a referral.

ClodiaF Wed 22-Jul-15 21:41:30

hmm, he's supposed to go back in 6 months for a review but I can't help worrying in the meantime. What happened with your DC, JiltedJohnJulie?

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 22-Jul-15 22:10:03

Both have been referred for different things. Personally, I wouldn't wait 6 months with such a slide in his centiles. I'm surprised it hasn't been picked up on tbh.

Hardtoknow Fri 24-Jul-15 21:59:07

It could be normal but it may be worth getting a referral. DD only grew 3cm between her 2nd & 3rd birthdays. I raised it with the HV when she was 2yr6m and had only grown 1cm & she noted the concern but we agreed we'd wait before referring. At 2yr10mo, she'd grown another cm so the HV referred her. There was a 3 month wait. In the 8 weeks between seeing the HV and her birthday, she grew another cm. In the month between her 3rd birthday and seeing the paediatrician she grew 5cm and grew another 7cm before her 4th birthday. It was extraordinary. Since then, she has gone through massive growth spurts and it has made me realise the phrase "grown overnight" does mean something!

MiaowTheCat Sat 25-Jul-15 10:32:10

I've found that the first time they switch to measuring them standing up rather than lying down both of mine have looked like they've dropped down the height lines because of the wiggly toddler factor. They haven't, they're still definitely beanpoles on the upper end of the height spectrum.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now